Best ohmsage for bass cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Roger Heroux, Sep 24, 2000.

1. Over the years I've heard many musician talking of great cabs.I've heard 16 Ohms cab are very warm but love the power.I've heard in Eruope the high voltage can make some rigs really sing.Is there a min-Ohms for best bass sound?Are the frequences you're trying to amplify a factor?
    Can the ohmsage relate to the throw distance of a cab?
    Thank-you everyone.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    'Ohm' is just the load a cab represents to the amp. The lower the load of a cab the higher the power rating an amp can deliver. Most standard transistor amps deliver the highest power rating at a load of 4 Ohms and usually you must not go below that (some power amps can handle 2 Ohms loads).
    On tube amps you can switch between different load settings because they have an output transformer.
    I don't think you can get distinctively different sounds because of it - it only affects the amp's power rating.
  3. The ohmage, actually called impedance, is, IMO, of no influence to the sound. It only says something about how much current will flow due to a given voltage on the speakers. The sound of a cab is entirely dictated by the brand and type of speakers, the internal air volume of the cab and the tuning frequency of the port(s).

But it is true that older cabinets (or cabs of classic design) sometimes have higher impedances, because back in the days when tube amps were the only thing available, amplifiers weren't capable of driving the very low-impedance loads of today. And, needless to say, classic cabs sound very different.
  4. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Joris and JMX said it all, I just want to add an example:

Many companies sell the same cabs with either 4 or 8 Ohms impedance - not because of sound, but for different set ups:
    With a 4x10 cab rated at 4Ohms you get the max. power out of an amp rated at 4Ohms but can not add another cab, say 1x15. With the same 4x10 cab rated at 8Ohms the amp will put out less power (about 60% in most cases) if you use it alone, but you can add another 8Ohms cab. (Two 8Ohms cabs wired parallel have a total impedance of 4Ohms)