best oil finish for all around durability and protection?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bon viesta, Dec 27, 2020.

1. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    i mean that’s the point of a finish right? tell me the best oil to use when finishing wood to get both a cool natural look (maybe a hint of shine) and also be able to protect my bass from the elements, whatever they may be.

2. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Howard Feed N Wax.
    Howards.jpg

3. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Neustria
    bassdude51, Beej and bon viesta like this.
  4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Equal parts boiled linseed oil, MinWax Wipe on Poly, and mineral spirits... for the first couple of coats, add a little more mineral spirits to thin it out and allow deeper penetration. I go two coats with the thinner mixture, then two (or more) at "equal" strength. Builds nicely, protects, feels super nice, and easy to add to.

Got the recipe from "Make" magazine several years ago and have been using it on various wood projects ever since! I have four basses with this finish on their necks and they've held up nicely... Only make as much as you're going to use as it doesn't store too well. I have pulled six months and only added a little spirits, and it was fine, but I had a jar that sat longer and it went south.

-robert

5. wheresmyric

wheresmyric

Apr 16, 2006
    I've had very good results with Duracoat Firearm Finshes Danish Oil.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  6. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    looking to get a finish similar to this... almost like an out of the woodwork type deal.

Attached Files:

Paco Leon and garrett77 like this.
  7. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    maybe a bit lighter than than the body shows up to be ;) so here’s a better example

Attached Files:

8. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    TruOil will do that.

9. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Neustria
    I'm sorry but I don't understand. Want a finish for a bass you're building or a bass you already have? Because in the second case your bass already has a finish and you don't need to add a layer of it.

FunkHead and DrMole like this.
  10. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Tru Oil PERIOD!

11. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    i’m thinking about a project that would mean finishing, and i’m thinking about utilizing oil finishes. it would have no finish on it, to begin with. i don’t even have anything to finish currently, i just like to think about things a lot before i ever proceed with them, because otherwise i’ll end up with a huge jumbled mess.

Vinny_G likes this.
  12. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    i see now my wording is super weird, so apologizes! i’ve seen one too many finishing threads on this site and i’m maybe just subconsciously emulating them... :wideyed:

13. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Neustria
    Okay, that's exactly why I suggested you ask the question in the luthiers forum ;)

14. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    i tried :(!!! but the mods took it down for thread duplicating, and i already had some steam going on this thread by that time so i didn’t really want to delete this one.

Williethump likes this.
  15. Vinny_G

Vinny_G

Dec 1, 2011
    Neustria
    Ask them to move it.

16. bon viesta

bon viesta

Dec 10, 2020
    oh well, i mean i’ve already gotten some nice answers even if it was at the cost of seeming like a fool (which i totally am when it comes to any of this stuff)

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  17. I think i've used naptha in that recipe instead of mineral spirits. Thumbs up.

18. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    That is my go-to formula for furniture finishing or any other wood project that doesn't have to take abuse. Tru oil is similar, but substitutes polymerized linseed oil or polymerized tung oil (depending on who you believe knows the secret formula). This makes it dry faster and a bit harder than boiled linseed oil.

rllefebv likes this.
  19. garrett77

garrett77

Dec 12, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Years ago... around 1999 I used Formby’s Tung Oil on my swamp ash bass. It still looks good 20 years later. It’s lighter like the second post with images.

I like the images being referenced here. Going to make a 1954 style p bass with no pickguard?

Low8, jallenbass and bon viesta like this.
  20. Dec1975

Dec1975

Aug 30, 2006
    Cedar Park, TX
    Have you looked at Rubio Monocoat? I've not used it, but I'm thinking of using it in my next project.

Allegrus and Beej like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2022