Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best onboard pre for 5 string j bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scott Lynch, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

I recently picked up the bass from a friend who didn't want it anymore. It's a mexican deluxe active model, so the battery box and side jack are already routed. I've decided to replace the pickups with lindy fralins. I'm looking for versality with this preamp. Currently I've been playing in a top 40 cover band, so any current style goes - pop/rock, r&b, some funk, punk, etc. The aguilar OBP-3 seems like a good choice. I've also looked up the j-retro, bartolini and sadowsky models. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any replies.
    -Scott

2. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

bump......

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    What controls does that bass currently have? Are the controls mounted on a bell plate like a 4-string jazz?

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    J Retro!

5. You might want to look into the EMG-BQS Control. It's a 3 band EQ with a sweepable mid and it also has adjustments for the treble's knee frequency. The control works great with passive pickups and is very quiet. I recently replaced the preamp in my Yamaha TRB5 with one of these. It was about $100 for the unit.

6. Best onboard preamp is none, especially for a J bass. Better to spend money on real preamp with a transformer and vacuum tubes.=, not a 9 volt battery operated gimmicky circuit.

That said, try sadowski's or aguilar's if you must.

7. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Aguilar OBP-3 or OBP-1

8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Sadowsky, without a doubt

Rob