Best Open Air Festivals You´ve been to ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by David-Adler, Jul 3, 2001.

1. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany

I´ve wrote this thread, because this weekend there was a pretty large, FREE festival over here in germany... it was pretty cool, even as there was some major rain... Incubus where playing - HELL they where so GREAT... Headliners where the Fun Lovin Criminals (VERY INTENSE - I loved them) and Thumb! . It was pretty cool, there where also some great local bands, especially a cool reggea band...

Well and Incubus... they just rocked the hell out of us all...

so what was the best Festival you´ve been to ?

2. Dynamo Open air is the best in Europe by far :D
    if all goes well.. i'll be on stage at Dynamo next year :D :D

Thinking of visiting Ozzfest in the USA next year...

p.s. where in Germany is that FREE festival ?? if it's not too far from Holland, i might drop by :D
  3. I went to Summersault last summer, that was cool. It had the Smashing Pumpkins, the Foo Fighters, Our Lady Peace, and some other bands, I can't remember them all. It was pretty cool though.
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's called Rheinkultur and it was last weekend in Bonn (former capital) right at the river rhine.

Last year I saw <big><B><I>King's X</big></b></i> there - G R E A T !!!

The Dynamo @ Eindhoven/Holland used to be great.
    The last time (several years ago) I went it cost about 5$ for 2 days and billed the Zappa sons Ahmet and Dweezil, Suicidal Tendencies, Biohazard, Anthrax, Annihilator, Mercyful Fate, Prong and lot's of other bands.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

My favourite recent open air festival, was one I attended in a park just outside my home town - it was billed as the Essential Festival and I went on "Roots" day which was areally good day out - the weather was fantastic - sunny and the atmosphere very relaxed.

So Roots day was a mixture of Jamaican Reggae bands, Jazz and Acid Jazz bands as well as some other interesting acts like GrandMaster Flash.
    So I went from watching Courtney Pine playing Jazz with the world champion DJ, to Bunny Wailer playing some amazingly spiritual music. Then there were the Brand New Heavies and loads of other Jazz and Jamaican bands that you probably won't have heard of but were amazing.

But the best thing about it was the diversity and friendliness of the audience - so there was young and old and people from all sorts of countries. A lot of Reggae fans had travelled far from places in Europe to see the Jamaican bands. But I remember standing watching "Omar" singing "Nothing Like This", next to a large number of young Japanese girls recording the whole performance on their digital video cameras - strange, but somehow appropriate.
  6. The Chicago Blues Fest is real cool, as is Summerfest in Milwaukee.
  7. Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    Right The best two festivals I've been to were the Donnington Monsters of Rock festival in '95 which had Machine Head, White Zombie, Slayer, Therapy?, Skid Row and Metallica!! Absolutely Awsome Gig I came away with a Huge Bruise across my Rib cage where 80,000 people had been pushing me against that stupid rail at the front. The only low point of the entire Day was seeing Therapy? getting pelted with Bottles of Yellow Liquid(You know what I mean) and Sand as they struggled to get through their set.

The Other Great Festival I've been to Was the Ozzfest Here in the UK in 1998 With such great bands as Pantera, Slayer(Again), Ozzy and of course the Fathers of it all BLACK SABBATH with the original line up - Two of the greatest days of my life
  8. kcm

Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    Hey guys, I'm not there but I'm watching the Capital Radio, Party in the Park live on the tv right now, and Tom Jones is kicking some serious BUTT!!
    100,000 kids getting down to the Welsh Wizard!!
  9. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    There are a couple i go to over here in Seattle.
    There is the Bumbershoot festival which is a four day festival where tickets range in price (i think a four day pass averages out to $12 a day.) Last year they had Parlaiment Funcadelic (BOOTSY), Maceo Parker (and his band, ron tooly was in it), Tony Levin was there, well there were hundreds of bands and musicians.

There is also the Folklife festival which is a free festival, in which almost any musician can be a performer, so there are a lot of local musicians. The performers aren't paid though. I saw some cool stuff though.
  10. Cat

Apr 5, 2000
    Penn State