Best option for 8ohm cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Feb 15, 2006.

1. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I got the old Eden WT800. Love the tone..but the darn thing will cost me another $600 with shipping to get the upgrade. I already have a Ampeg 410 4 ohm they are cheap enough to pick up another one for outdoor gigs and run the head in stereo.

But..I want an 8ohm cab for small to medium indoor gigs..has to be 8 ohm. Suggestions?? The Schros' have peaked my interest (but which one)..any other suggestions?
  2. A Schroeder1212 light would sound great with that head, and Jorg offers an 8ohm option.

The other thing you might consider is an Epi410UL in 8 0hm version... very nice sounding with the 800, and light enough that it might serve your large/small gig situation with a single cab (i.e., you could sell the Ampeg410 4ohm)

PS Have we met at LDS?
  3. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI

I was thinking about the 1212 vs the 1210. EPI..didn't think of that, they make 8ohm 410'!

I'm sure you A/B'd the two..which would you choose Epi or Shro?

Yes I could sell the Ampeg...but I wouldn't get my money back out of it.

I've been to LSD a few times...very very cool store! Good guys too! I don't know if we meet..the only time I was there with a bunch of guys was a few years back and I just happened to be in the store walking around during a promo photo shoot..they invited me to be in it:) There was a few heavy hitter bass players there from the area..a couple I have seen gig around town. All very cool, nice people..even though I was some average joe cover band commando they all treated me with respect, from the employees to the monster bass players that were there that day.
  4. It is a great shop. I'm there for a couple of hours pretty much every week... just hangin', playing a little bit, and meeting more Detroit area bassists.

I really like the Epi410UL.... but if you are keeping your Ampeg cab, then it seems you want small.... the Schroeder 1212 is the loudest darn small cab I've every had... and it's one of the few small cabs that can handle the bridged wattage of the Eden. I have not heard the light version yet, but that would seem to be the perfect, lightweight matchup with your 800. My guess is the 8ohm Schroeder 1212 will outperform your Ampeg 410!
  5. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Does the 1212 have the punch factor like the famous Shro 10's do?
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    might not be your cup of tea but a used swr goliath, goliath2 or eden 410t area ll 8 ohms (some edens are 4 ohms so ask) and will all run you 400 or less. all sound similar and great (IMO) with an 800 in bridge mono mode.
  7. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    The best option for an 8ohm cabinet is most likely a Mesa Boogie road ready 410

600 watts power handling! Holy crap!
  8. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    From what remember from hearing Mesa's they have a little punch to specs on the website.

I could always go Eden as well.
  9. They are a little more open in the low end, and a little less punchy than the 1210... I don't see the 1210 listed on Jorg's site as having an 8ohm option, so that's the primary reason I suggested the 1212 light. I have also not heard the lights... I have one on order, but I don't think Jorg has shipped many yet. So, we don't know what impact the neo's will have on the sound. The Epi Neo's vs. traditional speaker line sounds very different, with the Neo's being more 'punchy' in general. I have no idea if that will be the case with Jorg's cabs.

Given that he is keeping both lines active, I would assume the lights will sound different than the regulars. It sounds like he's still about 4 weeks away from shipping in any quantity, so info regarding this is going to be a little hard to come by for a while.
  10. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Sweet Kjung...please keep me posted on the 1212 neo. What do you think about an LDS cab in comparison to the Schros or Epi? By the way thanks for all your help!
  11. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I've been there, and I'll have to agree with you. :cool: