Best or favorite NEW WAVE bassist.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by NewWaveBasser, Jul 7, 2001.

1. Mark King (Level 42)

14 vote(s)
  2. Bruce Thomas (E. Costello & The Attractions)

14 vote(s)
  3. John Taylor (Duran Duran)

20 vote(s)
  4. Kathy Valentine ( The Go-Go's)

0 vote(s)
  5. Deon Estus (Wham!)

1 vote(s)
  6. Gary Gary Beers (INXS)

2 vote(s)
  7. Sting (The Police)

28 vote(s)
  8. Other

21 vote(s)
  1. OK people...I'm new wave basser...and I haven't yet posted a poll for best new wave bassist????? way.

We be correctin' so here it goes:

The nominees:

Mark King (Level 42): Cool slap technique, lotsa notes and sings! Yeah, L42 WAS new wave. This one is no surprise and probably the favorite among the bassers out there.

Bruce Thomas (E. Costello & The Atttractions): pumping it up until you get the feeling...pretty good player. Check out "Watching The Detectives" and other early Attractions stuff. His bass is key for those songs to work.

John Taylor (Duran Duran): Kinda hard to believe the BSB's of the 80's could play. Listen to "Rio" or "Is There Something I Should Know". The basslines are very dynamic and present. Good thing he's back with DD.

Kathy Valentine (GoGo's): a guitar player playing worked. "We´ve Got The Beat"...whoa! Not complicated but it would make me jump around the room like crazy. There was more to the GoGos than Belinda...but listen again closely to the likes of "Our Lips Are Sealed" and you'll see Kate's sound is a big part of the gogo sound.

Deon Estus (Wham!): Who? Well, it seems that George Michael and those "Choose Life" shirts and that bubble gum pop distracted y'all. Hear "I'm Your Man", "Edge of Heaven" and "Wake Me Up...". Again very dynamic basslines. Too bad people can´t see beyond singers...the guy plays!

Gary Gary Beers (INXS): Uh, questionable you might say...maybe. "Original Sin" might make you change your mind though.

Sting (WHEN HE WAS with The Police): OK, so he's old and forgot how to be an interesting BASSIST. Different story in The Police days. Good job on the fretless upright, and real cool with the bass guitar, especially on managing breaks (King of Pain, for example) Classic basslines those Police ones...

OTHER: 'coz you may know of somebody who deserves credit.

there, now VOTE!!!! :D
  2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    First thought: Uh oh....

However, i voted. Tough choice, actually, between Mark King, Sting, and John Taylor. And now I regret my choice.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Mark King isn't exactly New Wave, but he's surely THE bassist of the 80s - so he gets my vote.
  4. Andy2

Sep 29, 2000
    Mediocrity Man and SunnBass like this.
  5. Kip Martin

Kip Martin

Feb 28, 2001
    Graham Maby the bass player for Joe Jackson's band gets my vote
  6. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    John Taylor or Sting. I don't buy Level 42 being "New Wave".
  7. ...Level 42 is an iffy. They were from England, played pop with synths, and started in the early 80's, so some like me may put them in the new wave category.

As for other suggestions...interesting...because "Let's Go To Bed" (Cure) and "You Can't Get What You Want" (Joe Jackson) have A-awesome basslines! Ah...that slap and pop solo on that last one....oooohh...cordon bleu stuff indeed...
  8. I voted for Sting, but where the hell is Tina Weymouth? The grooves she played on Fear of Music are incredible! Considering that Talking Heads were the first New Wave band, I think she should be included.
  9. Well that's why I did add the "OTHER" category. Personally Tina doesn´t impress me much, but she was a big part of the beginning of new wave. True... watching the game...having a Bu...oops!

All of these selections and polls are always questionable... in the end to me new wave rules no matter what! Even EVEN Frank Maudsley (sic) of A Flock of Hair...eeeerrr...Seagulls gets my appreciation. (actually he wasn't bad...problem was the vocalist's legendary stupid hairdos were always interfering...hahaha!)
  10. Bob Casale from DEVO
    GregC and ERIC31 like this.
  11. grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    That would be Nick Beggs. Excellant player. Check out his Stick playing. The are some clips of him playing stick with John Paul Jones at his website which I believe is at (Very Cool Website). I always thought he was a chick though in the Too Shy video. I do agree about Mark King being THE man of the 80's. Out of all the players mentioned I think he really doesn't fit. Level 42 were more Jazz/Funk with the exception of the MTV stuff. If you want to check out some similar stuff. Go to and click on the link for the Y Chromo Boys.
  12. I take it that Tony Levin doesn't impress you, then? How about Family Man?
  13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Level 42 came out of a British "Jazz Funk" movement that included lots of other bands like "Shakatak". They were absolutely nothing to do with "New Wave" which was about taking the punk idea of shorter songs - less solos - and applying some musicianship, production ideas etc .

Quintessential "New Wave " band are Joy Division , with Peter Hook's dominant basslines being the focus of most of their songs. Echo and the Bunnymen, Teardrop Explodes and other Liverpool bands like Wah were next in the list and my favourite "New Wave" band were Magazine, formed by Howard Devoto, who was in the original punk "Buzzcocks" but brought his acute lyrics and added the musicianship of two of the best musicians of that era - John McGeogh and Dave Formula. They were joined by Barry Adamson, who is probably my favourite New Wave bass player and went on to produce some interesting solo albums.
    One Drop likes this.
  14. maybe L42 wasn't new wave...geesh...I'm not taking King out now...

...yo analog (cool name)... actually the problem with Tina has more to do with DAVID BYRNE SINGING :D... you see...I don't like his voice so I really don't listen to Talkin Heads...oh, well...besides I'm into the faster tempoed new wave stuff...

...who said Nick Beggs of kajagoogoo??...Oh yeah, thought about him. Great player, too. His band never had the longevity of the likes of Duran Duran though. Nevertheless "Too Shy" has one badass bassline going on...

...somebody mentioned Peter Hook. Unfortunately I missed out on JD. New Order...they used bass synth too much for Peter to shine...

Casale? But he split between synth and bass...

Overall I can see people don't ignore new wave, which I think is great. :) Also, I'm getting to find out about those few newwavers me and society kinda missed, especially the people in the 70s. I was only born in 72 and really started to listen to music near the end of the new wave movement at about 1981.

PD: Next time though if you feel a poll should be done then DO IT! I HAD THE IDEA FIRST SO I DID THE POLL SO I CHOSE THE NOMINEES...WELL, SUE (the verb) ME IF I DON'T KNOW EVERYTHING :(. I HAVE ABOUT 80 NEW WAVE CDS AND's not like I'm so ignorant...

15. Ahh, my bad on this one, it was Gerald Casale, Bob his brother played keys and guitar. Gerald Casale played bass and sang.

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That was me, but actually it's really the other way round! :rolleyes:

Joy Division were probably the better band although with Ian Curtis hanging himself just as they were making it, it's difficult to say - although "Closer" to me is the ultimate "New Wave" album.

But anyway in JD Peter Hook was tied down to playing lines which kept the rhythm going and often chose chordal parts as Sumner was playing bits of keyboards and guitar that didn't really carry the song - so in a way the bass lines are the whole song in some cases.

But in New Order they were able to program synth parts and Gillian was added to play keyboards, which all took the pressure off and allowed Peter Hook to really stretch out and shine, by playing "lead" 6-string bass. I saw one of New Order's first "secret" gigs and they sounded amazing and virtually all the solos were from Hook on different basses.

By the time of "Blue Monday" of course they were moving away from New Wave - but that has programmed synth bass, but is full of bass solos played by Hook - there is no guitar - just all bass solos, all the way through!! :D
  17. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Bruce....this is one thing on which we totally agree. :)

Another favorite "new wave" bass player of mine is.....Mick Karn of Japan.
  18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, deynn, i completely agree - where's mick karn?
  19. mean...there is a band called Japan??? Who the ... are those guys? If they were 70s underground new wave I missed them, sorry... vote for "other"

Please vote for "other" and put it in your update:

Mick Karn 2 votes
    Tina Weymouth 1 vote
    Nick Beggs 1 vote (or 2?)
    Barry Adamson 1 vote
    Simon Gallup 1 vote
    Graham Maby 1 vote

look at thread I may have missed something...

PS: Sting though apparently is the winner... I think...????