Best or favorite NON-JAZZ 80S bassist

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by NewWaveBasser, Jul 12, 2001.

1. Mark King (Level 42)

17 vote(s)
  2. Geddy Lee (Rush)

33 vote(s)
  3. Sting (Police/solo)

9 vote(s)
  4. Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)

26 vote(s)
  5. John Taylor (Duran Duran)

4 vote(s)
  6. Billy Sheehan (Various bands)

8 vote(s)
  7. Stu Hamm (Joe Satriani/solo/various)

15 vote(s)
  8. Mike Mills (REM)

6 vote(s)
  9. Mike Mezaros (Smithereens)

1 vote(s)
  10. Pino Palladini

9 vote(s)
  11. Peter Hook

7 vote(s)
  12. OTHER (Please specify on post!)

17 vote(s)
  1. Since there appears to be a big controversy over what exactly is new wave, I have created a new poll...

Let's set it straight: ANY BASS PLAYER who PLAYED IN THE 80S qualifies! That is EXCLUDING JAZZ OR NON-POP/ROCK!

And PLEASE use the OTHER category and mention your choice in the post, OK???

The list changes...big time. And these have to be harder to dispute!
  2. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    I really like the bass player from Janes Addiction. I think his name is Eric Avery.

Andy Rourke from the Smiths was pretty good as well.
  3. cole

Sep 14, 2000
    gotta go with Tony Levin or Colin Moulding.
  4. Well, I went for Mike Mills, as i really dig his stuff. I am quite surprised that you have forgotten Adam Clayton from U2. That would have been my first choice.
  5. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Billy Sheehan.... He was my influence durring the 80s.
  6. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    I liked Joh Taylor alot because you didnt here alot of funk slap in 80s pop! And he is a hell of a guy at that! Met him in st.louis about 3 years ago at a jazz thingy! Man he can funk it up for ya! Id like him to put out a solo funk thing! wouldnt be vic but hey would be cool!
  7. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Tony Levin all the way. I first became acquainted with him while listening to early Peter Gabriel one night. It was the first time I heard bass take such a strong position in "pop" music.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Firstly, I would have to repeat that Mark King came out of the Jazz-Funk scene in the UK, so if we're talking about non-Jazz bassists maybe he should be excluded!! ;)

Tony Levin is a great player, I would also nominate Pino Palladino and Mick Karn for great fretless, Robbie Shakespeare for unbeatable groove, Peter Hook for "lead" bass, Jah Wobble for world beats, and Barry Adamson as best "New Wave" bassist!!;)

But I could probably think of another 50 or so who deserve a mention - no poll can do justice to a whole decade!
  9. Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    personally, i think mike mazaros is the most underrated on your list. he can really lay down a groove. however, my officail vote goes to billy sheehan, being that in the 80's he was one of my biggest influences for picking up a bass. although honestly, this is a very decent list. i'm looking forward to seeing what others put in the "other" category. for my unofficial "other" vote, i would have to say tony franklin (blue murder, the firm, etc)...
  10. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    I'd just like to make my contribution to making the poll useless by nominating someone not on it. Though I don't generally like fretless, Pino Palladini is a good player. Peter Hook was good as well.
  11. I voted Geddy, though I've really liked the stuff I've heard by Levin and Kumalo.
  12. As you can tell by my name, my favourite 80's bassists are cliff burton and dave ellefson. Ellefson is highly underrated.
    I'm not saying these other bassists suck, I'm just saying dave and cliff are my favourites.
  13. Stu Hamm's got my vote. I've always struggled to play some Satch w/ a guitarist buddy of mine. But his stuff sounds great, good stuff.
  14. I voted for Geddy, because he's God. But I'd also give a mention to Baghiti Khumalo, he was what originally made me pick up a fretless.
  15. Due to lack of space, I could not add Pino Palladino (saw him mostly with Paul Young). Yeah awesome fretless bassist! No doubt.

So Tony Levin played with Peter Gabriel? Until when? Did he get to play...say...Red Rain? Now that would clarify a lot...

Adam Clayton was not included simply because he cannot match the other bassists on the list. But I said clearly to use the OTHER category!

And finally: due to lack of space I did not include a guy who I think can lay down some grooves (regardless of who you think): Robert "Kool" Bell!
  16. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    A couple of other omissions-
    Muzz Skillings(Living Colour)
    Patrick O'Hearn(Missing Persons)

I played in an '80s Top-40/R&B(ie, Pop) band...tons of slap! Granted, there may not have been a whole lotta slap in Top-40 "New Wave"/MTV(Duran Duran?)...?
  17. les claypool was technically in the 80s suck on this came out in i think 87 but if you mean a bass player only in the 80s than i would have to say none or maybe if you want to count cliff burton but i think he survived till the ninties
  18. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    being that I was a teenager back then, I do have some favorites- but I'm not necessarily involved in these genres anymore:

the tony's:
    Butler & Franklin(turned me on to fretless)

Mick Karn(whole new fretless approach)

Bakithi Kumalo (he's not indian, you know...)

David J (hmmm, a theme is developing..)

Daryl Jenifer from Bad Brains.

I guess I'm just indecisive. But I learned a lot from each one. In that particular decade anyway...
  19. Just because Adam Clayton's stuff is simple, it doesn't mean it's worse than any other's!