1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

best or proper three bolt neck shim

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dropbass, Jan 23, 2012.

1. hey bass brains!!! i think i need to shim my three bolt neck some tilt prob but still but the entire height.... the bridge seems to sit too high on the body.. id like more adjustment or some in the saddles.. i can bottom out the saddle on the D and G and its still not quite where id like it .. and ideas or link where this may have been covered before would be amazeballs!!! :ninja:...

2. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Do a search with the word shim and you should be able to find a thread. Doesn't matter how many bolts you have, 3, 4, 5, or 6, it works regardless if the shim is actually needed. Make sur that your truss rod is set correctly first!

3. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    I use cut strips of business cards.
    Get a preliminary "OK" setup and go with it for a week or two to see if the neck moves further or if you need to add/subtract shim material.
    Makes unplayable basses very useful.....

4. fenderphil

fenderphil

Sep 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    the 3 bolt neck system has a built in shim...

5. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    The 3 bolt neck has a screw adjuster for neck tilt. There is no need for any kind of shim. The screw pushes against a metal plate.

6. thanks guys.some great ideas... the three bolt has tilt only not not looking for the tilt need the entire height raised and dont wqatn to lose tone at the joint so was thinking hard wood veneer or plastic...or card stock but cut for the entire heel pocket