1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best or Worst at an 'equipment supplied' Gig

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by paulears, Oct 25, 2013.

1. I don't do it, it does not save time at all. not worth it, and i'm tired of using other bands crappy gear when i have my great gear. get out of here.

2. OOZMAN

OOZMAN

Jun 16, 2010
    Australia
    Best: GK 1001RB and matching 810, I still wasnt very impressed though; the head is waaaaay to clean and sterile and the cab doesnt go low enough ie. it felt like it was high passed at 80hz or so.

Worst: Some crappy 1x15 combo

3. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

I've had some decent backlines provided to me. The problem is I play DB, so it's tough to get a good sound out of some combos. Everything from SVT V4 + 810 to a Mesa Walkabout and Behringer stacks. These days I just bring my Eden 410 and Ampeg PF350 to everything, whether a backline is supplied or not. Some venues don't like that I do this, but I really don't care. It's hard enough to amplify the big girl and still get good sound. The house sound guy can deal with it.

4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

And another supplied backline. The cab was buzzing though!
    Millpoint+Park+Backline.

5. Worst - During sound check at House of Blues the Ampeg SVT-Pro sitting on the Ampeg 8X10 sounds like crapola. Take the grill off, one of the speakers has a tear in it. Tech just unplugged the speaker. Rig sounded crappy the entire night.

Best - Same House of Blues with a brand new SVT-Pro on top of a brand new Ampeg 8X10. I was the first person to play out of that thing.

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I'm generally not a fan of older cabinets, but those old Peavey enclosures slammed.

I've been pretty lucky with provided backline. A few weeks ago, I played through an SVT-4 and a GK 4x12. It really wasn't "my sound," but it was definitely a pro rig.

The worst backline was probably a Peavey Firebass through a Hartke Transporter 4x10. It was a functional rig, but man did that Transporter cab sound like ass. I also remember one time opening for a band and the bass player, who was an all-around cool dude, let me use his rig. It was a Hartke HA series head through one of Hartke's paper-coned cabinets - all in all, a good and solid rig. Unfortunately, he had a smiley face EQ set up. I really don't like messing with other people's settings, but I bumped the middle sliders just a little bit to have at least some mid-range. As I normally have a punchy and full mid-range, it was definitely the oddest stage sound we had in a while. I felt myself more than I heard myself.

7. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Get yourself a SansAmp (or similar) and a Class D head (MB200).
    Put both of them in your hard shell case. If they provide a cab, you can plug your head into it. If you have to use the headliners amp as is, plug the SansAmp into the effects loop in/ power amp in. No more worrying about crappy heads. Cabs, you're at their mercy, but either the SA or MB200 can give a DI to the mains with the sound you want.

8. I had one of these last weekend, sounded great, was all setup and ready by the time I got there.
    Drummer was happy with his setup, too, so that made for a nice set an indian summer street fair
    [​IMG]

9. I had only one 'worst' backlined gig. I quickly purchased an Aguilar ToneHammer for such an occasion - it was the very next day in fact!
    Behringer 4500H running through a badly beaten up Kustom 4x10 - with a buggy SM57 knock-off whacked in front of it. We debuted our cover of 'Creeping death' that show and I have lovingly referred to that gig as 'clipping death' ever since based on that head. Just excruciating.
    Thankfully, sound guys smile approvingly when you pull out a good preamp/DI.