Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best OT Topic EVER!!!.....BEER!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Johnny Fila, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Enough with these girlie topics. Let's get down to the real reason we play.....to drink BEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hyper: :hyper:
    What's your favorite? :p
    Here's my favorite 3:
    La Fin Du Monde (canadien) :bassist:
    Pilsner Urquell (czech) :smug:
    Maudite (canadien) :)
    What's yours?

2. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

This has been done before, but that's cool.

I don't do imports much, because we have such fine breweries handy locally. So, all of these are on-tap selections:

Walking Man IPA, Walking Man Brewpub, Stevenson, WA
    This one's my favorite, except that his other 9 choices on tap are all really tempting on a given day.

Black Butte Porter, Deschutes Brewing

Rogue Shakespeare Stout, Rogue Brewing

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Guinness
    Labatt Blue
    Rolling Rock

My least favorite would be Budweiser.

4. dude, it's the closest thing to water!!!! i love pounding those onstage. at one venue an old band of mine would use our $50 bar tab on $1.00 PBR cans. we'd pound them during our set and crush 'em and drop them onstage. by the end of the set the stage was a mess with empty beer cans. Professional? No. fun as hell? yes. i slammed like 4 at the gig last night. pound it and throw the empty over yer shoulder. :D

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Never drank the stuff I have heard many things; none of them very good.

On a serious note my three favorites are:

Killians Red
    Corona Extra (must have a lime)
    Amberbock

Runners up - Red Stripe, Rolling Rock, and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

6. ehhhh... i thought you were serious.. punk :D i can't drink anything but the light stuff. even Sierra Nevada Pale is to heavy for me. People are gonna throw things, but i am a Bud man. It's easier on the gut for me and it doesn't feel like i've had a meal every time i drink one.

7. Mankind

Mankind

Oct 20, 2003
    England
    1) Budweiser

2) Grosche

3) Stella

It's true,

King of all Beers - Budweiser

Best wishes.

8. Ahhhhhhhhh. Great topic. I can't kill 'em like I used to but:

Anything by the Abita Brewery (Abita Springs, La)
    Bass
    The Regulator (homebrew that we named for it's ability to regulate)
    Newcastle

on a side note: Schlitz Bull Ice used to be a band favorite for it's ability to absolutely ruin you for under $2

Mike

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Marble Bitter from the Manchester Brewery is currently doing it for me.

And just FWIW, almost all of the 'beers' you Yanks are talking about, aren't beers, they're mostly largers, or sometimes pilsners.

10. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    That stuff from Albertson's in CA I had...plain white can with a blue band around it that said "Beer"... ;)

Olympia beer
    JWDundee Honey Brown
    Rolling Rock
    Grolsch

11. Passinwind

Budweiser is a great beer, one of my favorites.

Errrmmm...not that one, this one: http://www.budvar.cz/

Seriously though, we have a very well known microbrewery a few miles away from here, which is actually now too big to be called "micro" anymore. I get a king-hell headache from even one bottle or glass of their beers, which are quite tasty. I was jamming with one of the brewers last night, and he brought some samples of new products for us to enjoy. You guessed it, mega headache. But light beers really don't agree with me at all. I can relate to what you're saying, even though our conclusions are different. :cool:

12. Passinwind

Not so, the vast majority of microbrews are ales. Lagers and pilseners are a lot harder to do well for craft brewers in the US.

A lot of the stuff the other guys mentioned is known as "swill" in the micro trade. :ninja:

Mmmmm....bitter!

13. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

Moose Head
    Shiner Bock
    Rolling Rock

in that order ...

14. While it's possible the defenition of "beer" varies in parts of the world....
    beer ( P ) Pronunciation Key (bîr)
    n.

a)A fermented alcoholic beverage brewed from malt and flavored with hops.
    b)A fermented beverage brewed by traditional methods that is then dealcoholized so that the finished product contains no more than 0.5 percent alcohol.
    c)A carbonated beverage produced by a method in which the fermentation process is either circumvented or altered, resulting in a finished product having an alcohol content of no more than 0.01 percent.
    d)A beverage made from extracts of roots and plants: birch beer.
    e)A serving of one of these beverages.

I'd pay special attention to the first definition. It categorizes everything mentioned here as beer. Lagers, Ales, etc all fall under the general umbrella of "beer".
    Mike

15. I ususally drink Heinekin. Unless I'm at aplace that has bad heinekin, like teh tap room,. where the heinekin is total garbage 4 some reason.

I dislike guiness. It tastes like mildly alcoholic mud that can't be cold to me.

I hear that 'dig me' character drinks zima and mikes hard whatever......while smoking virginia slims menthol 120s. :D

16. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    Leinie's Honeyweis
    www.leinie.com

Local beer is just so much better.

17. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Let me correct you there if I may....all Lagers are beer. Pilsners are a special type of lager. Not all beers are lagers. Not all lagers are Pilsners. The term Pilsner comes from the czech town of Plzen, the original first made pilsner (somewhere around 1200), the style that Budweiser is made after, but much different than the original Budweiser recipe (thanks to WW II. Why you might ask? Beer companies started marketing beer towards woman at that time due to many men being over seas and a decline in sale, so Budweiser et al., was made more palatable for women). Some beers are ales. It has to do with the type of yeast you use in the brewing process, bottom fermenting, which would usually be a lager and done at a colder temperature (refrigerated temperature, think Coors Light) OR top fermenting, which is usually an ale and done at a room temperature.
    Hope that helps all who never knew.

18. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Beer sucks. If it didn't:
    Yuengling
    Amber Bock
    Budweiser

Ray