1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best outboard preamp for slap bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Joel951, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Joel951

Joel951

Oct 27, 2011
    Which is the best outboard preamp for slap bass playing?

I am torn between the aguilar tone hammer and the xotic trilogic preamp. .

2. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    You do not need an outboard pre-amp for slap bass. What are you playing through now that is not giving you the slap tone you like? The majority of the slap tone is coming from the strings and your slap technique.

What kind of strings are you using and how old are they? Stainless steel roundwounds are one of the best choices for a good slap tone.

3. Joel951

Joel951

Oct 27, 2011
    ^^ got it man. thanks. .

But i really wnt to purchase an outboard preamp. . do you have any suggestions?

4. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

Nov 17, 2011
    France
    Waow I had the issue for many months: took the EWS tri logic, and I'm really statisfied BUT.... no DI, and the tone hammer's got one, so....

But the EWS sounds really good with a compressor, you can still have a natural tone

SC done like this:
    Fender JB5 passive tone set at noon with Aero pickups and d'addario EXL nickels 45-125
    EWS tri-logic preamp II : gain 10h, volume 2h, trebble flat/noon, mid 400 hz 1h, bass 1h, a little 5 Khz push up cos' I had old strings on that SC, and Elysia plugin compressor on Cubase, light compression settings

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  5. If you're going for a Marcus Miller type slap tone, any decent two band pre will get you part of the way there; my vote is for the Sadowsky outboard preamp/DI.

There is no "Best" by the way.

6. rimbaud

rimbaud Banned

Nov 17, 2011
    France
    I agree, all depends on your ears ;) any good 2 bands pre can do the job. I've choosen the EWS cos' I wanted a mid range versatility, either fingerstyle or slap style. I love the 400 HZ range :cool: