1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best over ear headphones for $100

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Jul 12, 2014.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Not interested in Bluetooth, wired is fine. Will be using them at work primarily, not in a studio type setting. Looking for best bang for my buck in this price range.

2. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Banned

Dec 23, 2010
    Horten, Norway
  3. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Do you need to spend $100 for work? There are plenty of very high quality performers in the $40 price range.

4. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Such as? Definitely open to spending less.

5. Grado SR60i, best bang for the buck there is. They are open back though, so there is some sound leak. No one at my work has ever complained though.

lowsound

DeathFromBelow likes this.
  7. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Banned

Dec 23, 2010
    Horten, Norway
  8. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  9. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    When I was looking a while back there seemed to be a lot in that price range that would do the job very well. Not sure which one specifically, but I used http://www.head-fi.org/. Check some out there. I personally wouldn't spend $100 for a work headphone, but if you don't mind, AT ATH M-50's are very nice. The Grados consistently get good ratings and are spoken very well of around here.

10. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    How heavy they are? I have a pair of Shure SR840 that I love but I found them heavy.

11. I wear mine about six hours a day at work and don't get fatigued by them at all. No idea on weight, but they don't feel heavy.

lowsound

12. Timmah

Timmah Supporting Member

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    I personally love my Sennheiser HD280 headphones. They have a nice present low mid, right where a bass sits in the mix.

13. Shure SRH440- $100
    Shure SRH240A- approx $60

Great headphones. If you have the $100, the 440s are outstanding. I use the 240As on my Roland drum set and they are excellent for the price I paid. I also have Sennheiser HD280s, but I prefer the Shures.

14. Like some of the other posters, I own and very much like the Grado SR60. But honestly, I think if you avoid gimmicky consumer brands (looking at you, Beats by Dre) and stick to pro audio brands (Sennheiser, AKG, Sony, etc) almost anything you buy for $100 will make you happy.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014