1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best overdrive for live TV

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by noah.culver, Oct 22, 2009.

1. noah.culver

noah.culver

Oct 14, 2009
    atlanta, GA
    anyone out there have any live TV experience? i'm out on a small arena tour right now and have my tone dialed in for that application. i'm mainly using an OCD, but i'm afraid it will be too harsh of a tone for live TV. i picked up a nobels natural overdrive which seems to be smoother. any suggestions?? thanks fellas.

-noah c

2. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    Leave it to the mix engineer. If it's too harsh, he'll bring down the treble and high mids.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You're on tour and about to go on TV and you have to ask that? OK, but you'd think you'd have your thing worked out already. Anyway, just do what you do and don't worry about it.

4. noah.culver

noah.culver

Oct 14, 2009
    atlanta, GA
    jimmy. yeah, well, first timer. i mean i might be wrong but isnt that kinda how it goes? you know, bedroom to garage to empty club to empty club to kinda full club to full club to theater so on and so on. haha yeah i'm gonna do my thing, dont get me wrong, but i didnt know if there were any secrets of the trade as far as LIVE TV is concerned. isn't that kinda the point of this forum?

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I spose youre right. I haven't done TV very often and when I do I get all panicky about it (mostly about my looks), so I know it can be a bit disconcerting. But the audio is basically the same as being in a studio, except you only get one chance.

6. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    The big tone issue for bass on TV is having the meat of your tone too deep for the little built-in speakers that a lot of folks use. A big OD/distortion wash will work better through a big PA than through built-in TV speakers. Ditto a super-deep tone with rolled off mids and highs. But as long as you keep some clarity in (and room in the band mix for) your low mids and mids, your tone should translate.

Also, keep in mind that the processing chain from studio board to broadcast will compress fairly drastically.