1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Overdrive With Blend Knob To Use With A Vintage SVT

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bob Moulton, Apr 19, 2021.

1. Bob Moulton

Bob Moulton Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    I'm a Precision Bass and Vintage SVT guy. That won't change. I know who I am. ;)
    I just recently sold my CAL Grizzly, which I may regret, but I didn't like the fact that it didn't have a blend knob. Besides, it seems like I could never set it and forget it with tone or volume on different stages. Either the volume was too loud when I clicked into a passage at a show, or the distortion/OD was just not present enough with the vintage SVT. I owned the original Darkglass B3k, which I liked for the most part, but it seemed to be mid-scooped, and it never quite sat well with me. The newer versions seem to have fixed that issue with a mid-knob, so I do have interest in those and the Vintage Microtubes, but I think it could be redundant in sound with my vintage SVT. I may be wrong. I briefly owned a DG Alpha·Omega Ultra v2, which just seemed overkill for my needs and maybe a little too Nu Metal sounding for my needs. I also owned an original Way Huge Pork Loin, but it seemed to cut bass and felt dark at times. The newer Pork and Pickle has me intrigued, but I've read people have said the same thing about it being too dark. Again, all I want is great natural-sounding OD with a blend knob, not too dark and not too metal. It has to pair with '76 Ampeg. No FX loop. My budget stops at $250. I know this is a tough one, but any insight would be appreciated.

2. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Ampeg Scrambler pedal.

javi_bassist, Ampslut and MattZilla like this.
  3. Bob Moulton

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    The Scrambler's lack of a bass and/or mid knobs makes me think it's a one trick. Maybe I'm wrong?

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    No blend but, you might find the Durham Sex Drive interesting.
    The other is of course the UltraWave. That one can do about anything though it also means you have to learn the PC/Mac editor to really get the most out of it.

Bob Moulton likes this.
  5. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    The 4 knobs are all I need. But the other advantage, Ampeg pedals always seem to set the bass perfectly in the band mix.

6. Bob Moulton

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    Thanks @4Mal - Does the Ultrawave basically have everything going on that the Shockwave does, and more? And, I can't seem to find a Sex Drive bass demo to save my life. Anyone?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    UltraWave vs Aftershock... not real comparison. UW has a real compressor on board and is multiband. I believe there is also hpf/lpf.

@GMC seems to be diving in deep on the UW so maybe he can opine.

Sex Drive demo. Maybe I can get a sample if I can pry mine away from my guitarist. He sees it as an always on thing for his blues tone...

Bob Moulton likes this.
  8. Barisaxman

Barisaxman Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    The way-under-budget option: EHX Bass Soul Food if you're looking for something that will do "somewhat aggressive" and has a blend.

pipaberg, Kukulkan61 and Bob Moulton like this.
  9. northbynorth

northbynorth Ampeg Portaflex Club #410. Strymon Bass Club #6

Feb 27, 2014
    Southern CA
    A used Strymon Riverside

10. bylar13

bylar13 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2016
    I use the Vintage Microtubes with a Hiwatt 200 and like it very much. I find I have plenty of adjsutability dependant upon the situation I am in.

pipaberg, jthisdell and Bob Moulton like this.
  11. Bob Moulton

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    @bylar13 DAMN! Always wanted to try one of those Hiwatt 200's out. Assuming they may be a little more naturally scooped and clean than an SVT? Just a guess. Good to hear that it works for you.

bylar13 likes this.
  12. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    I've got an older than new but newer than original B3K - the one with the 3way mid selector instead of a knob. I can't imagine not being able to find a usable tone into my SVT with that, so I can only imagine the version with the knob should easily get you where you want to be. Also consider the X with the graphic EQ. (This is assuming you actually like the inherent tone of the pedal itself and were just disappointed by the mid scoop).

The VMT is also worth a try - to my ears sounds basically the same but with a baked in mid boost instead of a mid scoop.

Bob Moulton likes this.
  13. bylar13

Dec 19, 2016
    I would say that is true. I run both channels and mix and match depending on the situation.

720EAFA6-B3CB-4CA4-8808-80C7B1AD2F4E.jpeg

I have also used a buffered splitter to run the Vintage Microtubes on “full” through the bright channel and clean tone through the normal channel. I really like the Vintage Microtubes range of tones an flexibility. I am not a huge "pedal guy" and massive distorted tones are not the primary thing that I am going for. That said, it’s there if I need it!

Bob Moulton likes this.
  14. Bob Moulton

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    I channel jump my SVT as well. I love it. Have you had an opportunity to try out the VMT vs BK3 V2?

bassballs27 likes this.
  15. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly

Feb 12, 2004
    The Hiwatt preamp definitely isn't scooped. The flat setting for the mids control is all the way down. You have to crank the bass and treble to make it scooped but the resulting sound would be very strident.

Bob Moulton likes this.
  16. Bob Moulton

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    Good to know. I figured it was more in line with a Mesa 400+.

17. What about the Tech 21 VT bass?

18. Bob Moulton

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    I have. Unfortunately, I was impressed. It felt sterile to me. It made my SVT sound neutered. I could never get comfortable with the sound.

pipaberg likes this.
  19. bylar13

Dec 19, 2016
    No. I had the Vintage Deluxe V3 for a while but felt it was too much for me. I traded it for another Vintage Deluxe that my wife uses as the dirt on her Hiwatt Lead 50.

Bob Moulton likes this.
  20. bylar13

Dec 19, 2016
    I was referring to the cleaner sound. I had a re-issue SVT back in the early 2000's so its been a while since I had anything to comapre to...

Bob Moulton likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021