Best P bass knockoff

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Restin' Bones, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Restin' Bones

Restin' Bones

Sep 24, 2005
    I DID use the search with 3 different phrases and didn't get the info I needed.

What would you say the best P bass knockoff is? As long as it still has the same simplicity as the fender.
  2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Lakland Bob Glaub.
  3. That's the one.

IMO the runner up (and possibly cheaper alternative) would be the Tokai Hard Puncher.
  4. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1. And it's an AMAZING bass, to boot. The Fralin pickups provide a fantastic tone. The Skyline model is pretty darn affordable.
  5. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    The Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub is the only P-Bass type instrument that made me consider selling my Fender P. I didn't, but it was close. :D

Why don't you just get the real thing? (Fender)
  6. Nearly every Tokai I've tried was impressive although I'd love to get my hands on a Celinder. Those are perhaps the most gorgeous Fender styled basses I've seen. Moon is another brand Id like to try.
  7. TheMightyQuinn

Dec 26, 2005
    Usually when I hear "knockoff" it makes me think cheap, lower end basses. I have an Encore P copy. It's heavy as all hell, but plays fairly nice for paying $70.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

9. I dont think Sadowsky or Lull really counts as a 'knockoff'. Obviously its a Pbass styled bass, but knockoff means to me something cheaper than the original, but not by necessity "cheap" in quality
  10. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    I agree... :)
  11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

True, but he then threw in the word 'best' and you can't really have a 'best' at knockoff level if you only think cheap. In the sense that the Sad or Lull copy the form of the P, then they're very high end knock offs.
  12. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    70's Pan. It is an Aria Corp lawsuit bass and it screams.
  13. mrcircle

mrcircle peacenik Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Boise, ID
    The G&L LB-100, no longer made but frequently available used, is often mentioned as one of the better P-style basses out there. If you want it on steroids, the SB-1 (essentially the same bass but with Leo's MFD design split-coil pickup) is unbeatable, IMHO. I've got TI flats on mine and it just sings!
  14. FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    Thats what I was thinking. I have a 80's Peavey Fury that I bought for $100, and its a great precision copy.
  15. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I picked up a 77 Ibanez Challenger for $400 and it's p-licious!:p
  16. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    +1001! I've been very impressed by the single-pickup G&L P's I've played.

I also agree about the Sadowsky/Lulls--they're great basses, but given the fact that an American Sadowsky costs ~3X what an American P-Bass costs, it would be more accurate to call them 'knock-ups' than 'knock-offs'!:bag:
  17. Tom

Sep 7, 2005
    Davis, CA
    Knock-off: an unauthorized copy or imitation

I'm pretty sure that describes the Lull and Sadowsky basses; the work "knock-off" does not inherently indicate lesser quality. I also think it's more in line with what the original poster asked. Besides, despite the expense, some people would still take a Fender over any of these.

I'd like to get my hands on one of these high-end Fender copies. Maybe I'll play a Lakland and it'll be godlike... or maybe I'll play a Sadowsky and find it lacks those extra few k worth of sweetness. Either way, at least I'll stop wondering. :meh:
  18. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Lakland USA Bog Glaub.
    I haven't played a Sadowski Ultra-Vintage P.
    But to me, the Lakland is the closest to my old fenders.