best p-bass pickup (at a reasonable price)?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Big_d, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Big_d

Aug 31, 2004
    hey i have a crappy project p-bass copy that i want to swap the pickups out of,can anyone reccommend some that would be good for metal/rock and blues and at a decent price?
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    What's a decent price for you?
    Bang for the buck, it's hard to beat the Dimarzio Model P. $60 new.
    Buy 'em new from , or I have a mint condition one in the classifieds.
    If you can go to $109, the Nordstrand NP-4 P pickup is the best aftermarket P replacement I've heard.
  3. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I'll throw a pimp out to Brian over at BestBassGear.

That said, the more I play my Bartolini 8CBP, the more I like it....
  4. Big_d

Aug 31, 2004
    if i were to order pickups off that site, do they come with wiring diagrams or would i have to find them?
  5. Don't overlook used ones. Personally, I like aged PUPs for sound quality.

DiMarzios are great in P-basses

So are the Rio Grande pups- different flavors Hot and vintage.

But check out Bill Lawrence pickups. You can have him wind you one custom for the qualitites you desire for the same price as some others.

Somebody on TB mentioned that Lawrence actually designed and made the Roscoe Beck doeuble Jazz stacks.
  6. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

G&L MFD split-coil

They were well under $40 new last time I checked (I can't remember the exact price). Tim at BuffaloBrosGuitars can set you up.
  7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    depends on the model. Dimarzio are four wire pickups, they ocme with a wiring diagram. For other regular two wire P pickups, there are wiring diagrams on the net - is one place
  8. Here's my 2 cents on pickups: They are very different in different instruments.
    I used to have a '72 P with a Bartolini and it sounded great. The same Bart in a custom made bass was horrible. An EMG P/J set in a MIM P didn't sound as good as I wanted it to do, so I put them in a Spector NS2-A and the bass sounded phantastic. I now have Duncans in the MIM P and it sounds killer. Try to figure out the accustic sound of your bass and try to find a matching pickup by reading lots of reviews.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the 72 P bass came with DiMarzio's that were as bad as the Bart in the custom P.
  9. HRC Matt

HRC Matt

Aug 31, 2004
    Columbus, Ga
    i have a Made in Korea P-Bass. The stock pick-ups in this thing are definitely f*cked. i am in the market for some new ones. Any Suggestions?
  10. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    What about Fralin pups? I've got Fralins in my LUll P4 now. I'm thinking about ordering a set of Nordies just for fun. :meh:
  11. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    JR, I haven't heard the Fralin P. I've heard the Fralin J's in a Lakland Joe Osborn, and they sounded great.
  12. David, I had a chance to try out both the Lindy P and J Pups in the Glaub and Osbourn basses respectively. And they both nail that vintage vibe.

JR, have a look at the Lindy Fralin P pup.
  13. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I have. It's stock in my Lull P4.

14. I have the Seymour Duncans in my MIM P, and it completely rocks! Best change I've ever made and makes this $300 project sound better than some of my $3k basses. Can't mess with a good design......

15. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Given the differences in basses, it all comes down to this: You'll have to step out there and try something. I have Nordstrand NJ4s in my Jazz and if I were looking for a pup for a P, based in my experience, that's what I'd try. YMMV.

PM sent.
  16. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    for metal and rock, you might like the Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound P-Bass pickup... I have one in my P-Bass and I really love it :) it accentuates quite a lot of that characteristic P-bass mid 'grind' without being too harsh

a good choice if you really want to cut through in the mix... it's good for the kind of sound Matt Freeman of Rancid or (gulp) Mark Hoppus of Blink 182 has...
  17. HotRoded

Jun 6, 2003
    Does anyone know how SD Quarter pound compare to Nordstrand NP4?
    More specifically: would the NP4 be mellower than the SD which is from what I understand rather harsh?
  18. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    To answer that question you might check with Brian at He's a nice guy and he sells both; I got my Nordstrands from him.
  19. the Basslines spb-3 qtr pounder sounded amazing in my mexi p-bass, if didn't bust up my bridge i'd totally use that as my main bass, but until i buy a replacement bridge it's jsut collecting dust
  20. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I've also heard the Fender 60's CS Vintage P pickups sound excellent and they run about $60 new.