Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best P bass pups????

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pnchad, Jan 31, 2006.

1. pnchad

pnchad Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2005
    I have a '75-'76 original fretless that I had owned since new, sold away 15 years ago, found it again on eBay and snatched it back.

My problem is that sometime, probably in the '80s, I changed out the pups and atenuators for Schecter, I think, at the time.

Question: who now makes the best, most authentic P bass pups/pots that money can buy???:rolleyes:

I know you guys will come through.:D

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    You'll get lots of opinions about this. I myself prefer the Seymour Duncan Basslines for upgrading a Fender. You'll also get lots of different opinions about which model to use. I use the Quarter Pounder. It's tough to actually go out and hear any of the various pickups. You just have to take a chance and hope you're right. If you don't like them you can always sell them and recoup part of the cost at least.

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    If you want "authentic", then I would suggest a Seymour Duncan Antiquity II pickup for P-Bass. I think Seymour Duncan does a very good job at recreating vintage pickups.

There are other pickup makers like Nordstrand and Lindy Fralin that make pickups with "enhanced" P-Bass tone. I've played a Fralin equipped P-Bass and loved the tone. If *I* were buying a replacement P-Bass pickup, it would be a Lindy Fralin.

4. Seymour Duncan antiquity II are good but not quite accurate. The Seymour Duncan Bass lines are a much more modern sounding pickup. Not as much punch and sweet warmness but overall a more hifi sound. From what I have heard and read the Nordstrand is the closest to the original puckup. The Fender Original p-bass pickup is still available but who knows how close they have held tolerances to the original sound. Hope this helps.:cool:

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    This depends on which Basslines model, because SD makes three: SDP-1, SDP-2 (Hot), and SPB-3 (Quarter Pounder). Duncan claims the SPB-1 is a recreation of a vintage Fender pickup that delivers the classic split-coil tone, and at least some agree. I have the SPB-2 Hot for P-bass, which is a heavily overwound version of the SPB-1, and has loads of punch while retaining some vintage warmth. I wouldn't call it hifi, and it's an excellent all-around pickup. The Quarter Pounder is definitely more modern, with a more full range, hifi sound, and lots of punch.

6. I have a bass wih a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 and i think it is very close to a good vintage Fender P pickup; probably closer than the Fender replacements. The antiquity is supposed to be even better but i have no experience with it.

7. The antiquity is no longer listed on the website... maybe it is out of production?

8. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Jason Lollar makes some pretty amazing pickups and is certainly worth a look.

9. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Try - Products > Antiquity ;)