1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best P-Bass split P/U + MM style together

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mossyrocks, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Mossyrocks

Mossyrocks

Mar 28, 2009
    Australia
    I have a 1986 Japanese 57 reissue P-bass that has been routed to have a MM/G&L style pickup in the bridge position.

I want a high output P-Bass pickup with a broad but clanky tone, and a humbucker for the bridge that can get a classic growl.

I've tried Dimarzio and SD 1/4 pounder P-Bass and a G&L L2000 pickup in the bridge. The G&L was ok but has moved to another project.

What P-bass and MM style pickups do you like together for heavy rock with a bit of dirty edge, the odd unaccompanied solo?

Cheers

2. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Delano pickups in this config work really well together, I demoed a Sandberg P/MM with these p/ups and was very impressed.

3. out of curiosity how far away from the bridge did you route? close to MM position? pics?

4. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I just put in a set of J/MM Delano pups in my Geddy looking jazz project bass. These Delano's sound great. I have had Bart's, Dimarzio's and Nordstrands but these are my favorite. The MM is growly and the blend between the 2 gives me just about any sound that I am looking for.

I have not tried there P but imagine that it is also a quality product. I have a G&L SB2 P bass pickup in my P frankenbass. That pup is hot and will punch your eyes out.

5. Mossyrocks

Mossyrocks

Mar 28, 2009
    Australia
    Good question about the placement.

Not very scientifically is the truth!

I have an L2000 and I measured the position off against that since the first pickup I had available to try was one of those. I really like the L2000 tonally, but don't like the bass so much compared to the P-Bass with the ulta-skinny 57 neck.

20.5cm from the 20th fret to the middle of the pickup between the coils. The bridge pickup has plenty of output in that position and reinforces the output of the neck pickup.

I don't like the hum from the G&L pickup when you use Leo's serial wiring with capacitor. (you can check the patent online if you haven't got an L2000).

Hence why I want to try another pickup combination.