Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best P Bass tone ive ever heard

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by ojthesimpson, Jan 13, 2005.

1. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    This guy uses a mint condition Fender P-Bass Elite 2 through a sansamp di and GK 800rb. This recording in my opinion is the best bass tone I've ever heard on a low budget indie cd. LIVE this guy gets the front row of the crowd pregnant.
    http://www.purevolume.com/enginedown

2. That is a pretty good tone. It's nasty and cuts through. I've heard of this band, but I had never heard any of their stuff. It sounds good.... I like it. :bassist:

3. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Can't say much for the Band, but I do really dig that tone. Maybe I will have to think a little harder about one of the sans amps.

Though I would have to say I am pretty fond of Jeordie White's P-Bass tone. American standard P through a 400+, not aware of any other effects.

4. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Nice intro, but the vocalist doesn't own the song.

5. Pretty nice!

6. ojthesimpson

ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    considering the ammount of money their label alots them to spend on recording I think he did a great job on this one.
    IMO The vocals go with the style, it's kind of Virginia indie thing that I hear in a lot of bands from that area.
    Sad thing is Engine Down had ALL!!! their equipment stolen, including the bass he recorded this on (Fender Elite P-Bass 2) , he's purchased another one but he had owned the previous bass for 10 years.
    He teared up when i talked to him about it (it had happend 2 weeks prio) when they were on tour here in Salt Lake.
    Sansamp + Gk800rb = great overdrive rock tone

7. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Cool tone JP,! :cool:

9. I'm really digging both of them tones! Both really add umph to their applied songs.