Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best P-Bass Tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChristineMFer, Aug 31, 2005.

1. ChristineMFer

ChristineMFer

Jul 28, 2005
    What's the best p style bass you've ever played. Why? Neck, tone, both?

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Fender 1972 Precision bass I borrowed for 6 months... Hated giving that thing back. :crying:

Second is my Ibanez Lawsuit P. It ain't goin anywheres. :smug: Even unplugged, the body resonates better than most other P's i've tried. You can hear the grind even unplugged!

However, my favorite P-bass tone would have to be on The Who's Live at Leeds, or during Pinball Wizard at woodstock (Kids are Alright video). Just plain BALLSY! :bassist:

3. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    My Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub. It blew away the MIM P I used to have and I also liked it better than the MIA's I played in stores. I've never played a vintage Fender P to compare it against though.

4. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005

I'll second that !!!

5. :bag: My favourite P-bass tone is Mark Hoppus' (honest)

The nicest P-bass I've played was a Highway one... :(

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Lakland Glaub ... Great playing & sounding bass. I've been thinking about building a replica of the Lakland Duck Dunn bass. J body & neck (R/W with white blocks) and a P pickup... I'll probably use USACG parts ehen I get there.

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    That reminds me: Mike Dirnt has a kickass P-bass tone as well on American Idiot.

8. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Though I prefer his tone on their previous albums, I've always wanted to try out the Dirnt signature.

But the best Precision I've played so far was actually the new 'Big Block' P-Bass. Awesome tone, I love the new pickups. And looks to kill. I may just be getting one soon, provided that I decide not to opt for a six stringer.

Graeme :bassist:

9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Best I've played for tone: Lakland Skyline Glaub (not mine); and '94 Fender MIJ Foto Flame (mine).

Best I've played for neck: my 2004 MIA Fender.

Best I've heard live: early '80s MIJ with DiMarzio Model P.

10. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

I'm sorry, but for a P-bass nut like me you have to have a split coil pu for it to qualify as a P-bass.

11. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    A black rose twin P.

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 on all that.

I have 2 '72 P's: one with frets, one without. Dunno what makes them different than other years, but they both are big fat grindy booty machines.

Entwhistle rocks.

13. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I was very impressed with the Lakland Glaub i played in Nashville a few years ago. That said, I really loved a new MIA P with a maple fretboad that is in a local store aound here. Finally, my favorite P of all time is a 1959 P I played in Elderly Music in Lansing, MI back in th early 1990's.

14. AGCurry

AGCurry

Jun 29, 2005
    Kansas City
    A '74 ash-bodied with maple that I bought new and had for 20 years until it was stolen. Sniff...

Second-best is the MIA 62 RI I currently own.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  16. American Deluxe P-Bass. Not the best P-Bass tone, but definately the most versatile and usable P-Bass out there, IMO. It's the only P-Bass I'd consider buying at this point.

17. The best P-bass tone I've ever heard came from an old friend's 1965 Pre-CBS Precision. I must've played it 50 times. I used to love it when I'd call for him to go out somewhere and he wasn't ready; he'd just say, "Go downstairs and fool around with my bass for a little while." :hyper:

The tone was so balanced, percussive and smooth. The neck was a little wide for my taste at that time, but I've since grown to love wide necks.

Sadly, I've lost touch with him.

The next best P-bass tone was one of these: www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0190115801

I played it in Sam Ash about a year and a half ago, and this is the only bass that I've played that came close to the tone of my friend's bass. And it came very close.

If I ever buy another 4 string, it's going to be one of these, but probably the 1962 version. I like sunburst with rosewood.

Check one out if you can. They're amazing. :cool:

Mike ;)

18. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I have a 2000 MIA American P (before the S1 option was introduced). It has a 1 5/8" nut, rosewood board and vintage pickups. The bass totally nails the classic P bass sound.

Tom

19. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    G&L SB-1 and Fender Steve Harris P.