Best P/J for funk and slap

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassbrains, Aug 12, 2002.

1. I have a yamaha BB1600 and want to upgrade the pickups its passive at the moment but sounds good what should I upgrade too.
  2. Well, I can't say what's best....:D

However, the EMG P/J set sounds very good for finger style and slap funk in the old Yama's. I have a set in my BB3000 and I've never regretted putting them in.
  3. Cool thanks whats the difference in sound. I'm new to bass so have no idea. I have emg's in a steinberger guitar is it the same sort of thing??
  4. Because of the extended bass and treble, they sound a bit more "open". More sparkle on top, more booty on bottom. In general, more "presence".

Words in quotations are subjective, your milage may vary.
  5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have the Bartolini P/J config (active) on my Curbow and it sounds friggin' amazing!!! I get an incredible slaptone out of it and it really provides a nice, versatile tone.

I highly recommend!
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Pedulla Rapture P/J with the wide spacing.

7. Weird...I don't personally believe more bass and treble = more presence. IME, your ability to "cut through" is most dependent on mids, in which the EMG's are lacking. Sure they sound good, but they really dont cut through a mix as well as other pups unless you have a mid boost on your EQ. (You can compensate with the amp's EQ settings, which is what I do with my guitar, which has an EMG-81 on it.)

For example, Rickenbackers cut through a mix well and have loads of presence to me, and their sound is hefty in the midrange department, with litle highs.

I will second Planet_Boulder's Bartolini recommendation, as they have a great complex midrange that is rich in tone.
    (I don't really slap much though, so what do I know). I love the Bart sound, but I also like EMG's under the circumstances. Just make sure you get some mids in there; you dont just wanna hear highs and the low booming bass; that is limiting your tone significantly.

8. I have the emg p-j set in my fender fretless..but I also have the bts system(vol.,bass,treb,blend..wired 18v).wired in the bts system is a small circut board with mini dip switches that allow you select the treble controls frequency.the lowest being around 1.5k and the highest around 6k...the factory ships it pre-set at 4k(that is their suggested setting).I think the other setting is 3.2k or something??there are a total of 4 settings so it's a pretty versatile can go from honky to glass shattering with the flip of a couple switches...I love'em in my fretless more meow than mawh...hope this helps