Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best P/J pickup upgrade?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sheepdog, Aug 14, 2003.

1. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I am getting an SX 4 string P/J bass. Keeping in mind it is only a 120 dollar bass (so no Aero pickups!), what pickups would be a good upgrade. This bass would be mainly for (classic style) rock covers. Probably get a schaller bridge (can't bring myself to put something on the bass that says "ass")

If this has already been debated elsewhere, just post the link to the thread. I didn't have any luck searching.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Emg's would be nice. Bartolini's also. All a matter of preference. Would you be using distortion or overdrive a lot?

3. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    i'm very interested in this too. i think instead of putting new jazz pickups in my mia jazz, i'm going to have it converted to a p/j combination. i'm thinking either basslines quarter pounders, or a dimarzio model p/j. what do you think?

4. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    Basslines and Dimarzio pickups aren't going to improve your tone THAT much. Make your money count and get some EMGs or Barts.

--Matthew