Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best P style Bass for under $1,000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brianh, Dec 29, 2005.

1. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    I need a P-Bass. Whats the best P-Bass (new or used) I can get for $1,000 or less. It definately doesn't have to be a Fender, just the a P style.

Thanks!

2. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Lakland skyline Bob Glaub
    Well under 1k and well beyond your expectations.

3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I agree with the Bob Glaub. I own a warmoth that I like a lot also.

www.warmoth.com

[​IMG]

4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Fender MIAs are great, so are late '70s Ps, both are in your price range. If possible, try before you buy so you can check for dead spots.

5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    BIG +1. I love this bass, and I don't even like P Basses.

6. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    I'm looking for "that classic P-bass sound," if that makes any sense. Will The Bob Glaub deliver?

thanks

7. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    yup, the Glaub was modelled after a '64 Precision. The Fralin pickups rock. For that prices, the Glaub is what you want.

8. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    +1 on the Glaub, and +1 on MIA Fenders. I had a 97 MIA P that was about the sweetest P I have played of any vintage. If you are looking at new basses, play all of them in the store regardless of color/finish.

The Glaub is a kickass bass. Fantastic bang for the buck.

Also, keep an eye open for a Lull P. I have seen these sell in the $1k category and they are typically fan-freakin-tastic. Aside from the top shelf construction, the guy knows about making great feeling necks.

9. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses

+1

My main P-Bass is a MIA Standard P-Bass that I bought via ebay. I replaced it's stock pickup with a Nordstrand NP-4, which IMO nails the vintage P-Bass tone. All told I'm into in for under $600.00. It plays great and sounds even better.

The late 70's early 80's "'57 Vintage Re-issue" P-Basses are also fantastic.

The Skyline Glaub is also a great bass and it's very reasonably priced.

10. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses

+1 on Mike Lull basses! :cool:

11. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    The Glaub definately gets my vote over any Fender in your range. I don't know anything about the Lull, so no help there.

12. er...I don't know any of those you mentioned, but how much does a Highway 1 go for? - they're supposed to be pretty good...

13. I can't really speak on behalf of the Bob Glaub which has had many recommendations since I have never played one but I am going to suggest a Fender Mike Dirnt. I use mine on a regular basis and find it to be a very nice sounding bass and also has a vintage sound and look.

14. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I would also recommend a new or used stock passive USA Fender Precision Bass. Not a "deluxe"! At the last GTG someone had a translucent orange ash P-J P bass that was probably the most beautiful P-bass I've ever seen. It played great and sounded nice acoustically. I've also played with DanceHallClasher's '97 sonic Blue P and it's the Real Deal™. Laklands are really nice but they don't do it for me. And is a USA Lakland in your price range? In general I'd take a USA made instrument over most anything made anyehwere else.

15. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC

Just curious, why do you recomend the USA Fender and not the Deluxe?

16. A Warmoth after getting the thing painted/finished, buying parts and pickups and stuff will run over $1000. Atleast with the calculations I've done...

+1000 on the Bob Glaub. But I'd also go for a used Fender American P and drop some Seymour Duncans or Lindy Fralin's in it.

17. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    Definitely Mike Lull P4 or Lakland Skyline Glaub, in that order. The Lull is just a really amazing bass. The Glaub loses points because the body contouring isn't quite as good as the Lull but the tone on either is awesome.

18. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    don't the Lull's list at over USD$2K?

19. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Yup. But for some reason the used market is not great on them. You can find some geat deals on used ones and they are tremendous basses. I had a Vintage Jazz with the Fralins that was one of the best playing and sounding Jazz basses I've ever played, Including sadowsky etc.

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    A used Lull would be sweet. Glaub gets the 'new' bass in that range though.