Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best paired head for an Avatar 210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by somethingshort, Sep 15, 2003.

1. somethingshort

somethingshort

Aug 22, 2003
    Hey I just bought an Avatar 210 8 ohm version. I was just wondering what amp would power this cab sufficiently to get a good tone and over all volume out of it. I would like to stay between $400-$500 if possible but I'm open to all suggestions, just nothing too insane, I'm just a poor college boy :meh:

2. Second hand Peavey (Mark VI, firebass etc)

Get a sansamp or other preamp later.

my 2cents.

3. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I second that opinion. Second-hand Peavey is hard to beat for the buck.

4. somethingshort

somethingshort

Aug 22, 2003
    Those seem like decent heads, kind of reading some mixed reviews on how they only sound good with peavey cabs though. I was also looking at a GK 800RB but the power rating seems kind of small to be powering my cab, both speakers combine to push 700w RMS while the GK only handles i think 300w. I need to cut through 2 guitars, but I dont think I will need to be obscenely loud, the band I'm going to be playing with is kind of progressive, similar to A Perfect Circle. If anyone has any other ideas I would be very grateful, I'm nervous about spending that much money and then getting something that wont work very well or something with a bad tone. Thanks Guys.

5. Therein lies the problem. If you're worried about getting a "bad tone," then you should go to a local music store and try out a few of the amps. "Bad tone" is subjective since a lot of amps are known to churn out a "good" tone as well as a "bad" one. Both the Peavey and GK amps are readily available at any of the big stores. If you've heard any live bands play with any of the equipment that you're interested in, and you like the tone they're getting, more than likely you'll like what kind of tone you'll get out of the amp if you get it. You definitely should not get an amp based on hearsay if you're worried about the tone. Stuff like reliability, how it handles in certain situations, weight, etc. are things that would be more helpful when hearing from TBers.

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I think you'll find that 700 watts is optomistic (in the extrme for that cab ...) mopre of a theoretical than a real world spec.

Obscenely loud, at least what that means to me is beyond the capabilities of a 2x10 cab ... or at least any 2x10 cab that I've heard. Obscenely loud requires more like an SVT bin or something similar.

Of course last band I was in (back in the 'coal fired PA system days') was obscenely loud. I used 2 single 15's, back behind the mains. pointed at the band as monitors and the the Mains handle the big volume part ...

7. somethingshort

somethingshort

Aug 22, 2003
    I basically need something to push me through practice and small-medium sized gigs. I plan on adding another 8 Ohm 2-12 Avatar later for more volume.