Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best parametric (rack mount) EQ for the money?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by j-raj, Apr 18, 2005.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I'm in need of a parametric eq and I was wondering what the best one is for the money.

2. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
  3. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    +1
    I have to agree...a very hi-fi, extremely tweakable unit.
    I use one in my rig as a high signal preamp.

4. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark

Attached Files:

• TC.JPG
      TC.JPG
      File size:
      11.3 KB
      Views:
  5. The Rocktron Blue Thunder has an excellent Parametric EQ.

Four filter sections with widely overlapping frequency selection.

127 memory locations so you can store that great EQ tweak that works in the club with 800 square feet of bass sucking slat resonators. And plenty of room to store the EQ shape that works in the gig with low ceilings and standing wave problems.

Plus many other fancy things, some of which are useless.

The factory presents only make the unit sound bad so ignore them.

With the effects turned off it is very quiet and sounds near pro level.

Only the EQ gain controls are front panel accessable when in performance mode, user must be willing to go into edit mode and tweak parameters.

6. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Disregarding fair concerns about the "B" brand I decided to give it a try. I bought the PEQ2200 Ultra-Q Pro model (not available in the USA but can be bought thru http://www.musicstore.de). I paid 77€+shipping for it. It's a 5-band full parametric with low and high cuts too. It's been doing nicely. So far I'm happy with it!

ANDRUCA

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

My favorite for bass is the Ashly PQX. It has five full bands, plus swept frequency high and low shelving filters, which are very useful IME. Also, each filter band is independently switchable, which allows you to set up a few different presets. I've used it as a standalone preamp with my active basses quite a few times. They run around $200 used on that auction site.

Of the other ones I've used, the Symetrix and Rane (the higher end one) are two good sounding, reasonably priced units as well.

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Slightly different proposition but I recently bought a Yamaha FX500 for 60 bucks. It's an old programmable multieffect with a 3 band full parametric EQ.