Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best passive 34" J/ PJ style 5 under $1500(ish)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NicJimBass, May 5, 2005.

1. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    I figured I'd get pretty specific. Looking to add to my arsenal.
    I's love a Lakland JO5 Skyline, but I'm a little leary of the 35" scale, as I'm used to my SR5.

Would love to hear what everyone thinks.

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Stretch up to $2200 (delivered to your door) and get a sadowsky metro and run it in passive mode ... or check out the Fender Roscoe Beck 5.

Or get Nino Valenti to build you a bass ... that might be the best option of all for you!

3. CLJMB

CLJMB Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2005
    North Alabama
    I ordered a Kinal passive P/J five through Bass Northwest for about $1,600. It will be my thrid Kinal. They are great basses. :D

4. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Alright, alright.... I'll be even more specific:

Best 34" J passive style 5 under $1500(ish) that I can buy at Guitar Center with their 15 month same as cash deal. Hopefully, this will narrow things down a little more.

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Why don't you look at the new Yamaha BB series 5? It is a P/J and it is way under $1500, I think it is under $600 for that matter. Don't let the price fool you, it has good reviews.

6. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    That did cross my mind. I haven't had a chance to go to GC lately, so I'm trying to get some opinions before I go.

7. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    LMAO ... OK ... thats totally different! I'm not very familiar with what GC does and doesn't stock, but they likely have Fenders. The RB5 is the only good passive 5 they make (that I know of), but their top end active 5s are pretty nice ... you could try a J deluxe 5 or a marcus miller 5.

Do they carry the Lakland skylines? Those would fit the bill. Another active bass you might like that I've seen at GC is the Pedulla Rapture J2 5. Go see what they have and give us the list as a poll.

Personally, I'd save up and buy something used from the classifieds on this site. For 1500 you can get any number of great basses ... and you can probably get one of the basses you'd see at guitar center in your price range for 800 bucks!