1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Passive 5string under $600

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by primusfan1989, Oct 3, 2013.

1. primusfan1989

primusfan1989

Jan 17, 2005
    new jersey
    Hey guys, looking to switch back to 5 (was playing an active 6 for a while until i switched to a squire p classic vibe) but i dont want active electronics because:
    A) they dont play well with the effects i use, especially fuzz
    B) I havent found an active bass with a tone i liked in that price range

The only basses I'm aware of that fit the bill are from the squire vintage modified series (ive almost pull the trigger on the 70s style jazz V but decided against it but im strongly reconsidering)
    So my question to you guys is what else is out there?

2. I would reconsider the VMJ V.

3. I need this as a pre-recorded message or a document I can just copy and paste:

The Schecter Diamond P-5 Custom is the best five string Fender-esque bass for the money. Nothing in its price range can touch its build quality and style.

4. hobbes1

hobbes1

Nov 3, 2006
    i'm digging my Squier VM P5....plays great and sounds great and the cost was great too :)
    no complaints.

5. THIS! $400 new and probably the best 5 string budget bass around!

6. Too bad they're over $500 new. ;) And rarely seen used.

7. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

Aug 5, 2013
    I'd go for the new Fender Modern Player Jazz V, imo it's the best 5 string in that price range.

8. primusfan1989

primusfan1989

Jan 17, 2005
    new jersey
    The one issue i have is with Jazz basses is the single coil hum though (ive already own to Js in my life and was never particularly happy with either), thats what kept me from the VM jazz V in the first place. that why the P5 or schecter is a little more appealing for me

9. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    I don't know if they are The Best, but the Yamaha BB415 and BB425 are REALLY good.

I wouldn't hesitate to put them up against a Squier or a Schecter.

10. Mmm. I guess I misread the thread title. ;) They're $549 new, sometimes less. I should've known when he said $600, he really meant $500.

You don't see them used too often because not too many people buy them, and the only ones that get re-sold are by people who don't dig the weight. They're a little heavy but balanced nice. If someone ever sees one used, it's for a very reasonable price.

11. The Schecter used to be a little cheaper. You can still find them online for $499. zzounds, American Musical Supply, music123...

I got one as a scratch 'n' dent for $370 shipped and it appeared new and unused exept for the stickers and hang tags removed...

Off topic, but do the moderators ever merge these threads?

12. Twocan

Twocan Living the Dream

Oct 5, 2009
    MA
    Look for a used Squier Pro Tone 5. I really liked mine.

13. Used G&L Tribute L-2500

14. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    I'm hooked on my Fender Modern Player Jazz V. Fantastic build quality and tons of options with the 4 position rotary pickup selector. There is zero hum in ALL volume/pickup positions. The humbuckers on full just kill. Priced right at $599 too.

15. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I have not played the VMs, but I have played the Yamaha BB425. Great bass.

16. I swear the thread title was changed. It initially said $500. Also, I can't find them new for under $600

17. MTD Kingston Saratoga!

18. Quick Google search shows MF has em for $549. I got mine at a Mom&Pop that matched online pricing, $549.

They recently introduced an active version and it's over $800 (I think); it also has graphite stiffeners in the neck, which are great but my passive model had a very stable neck.

The VM is a great buy also, but I've never played one I liked. I think it's a preference thing. The OP should look hard at the VMs because they are cheaper and might have a better resale value than the Schecter.

I don't take resale value in consideration when it comes to sub-$1000 basses anyway, but the OP might.

19. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I love my Squier VM 5, and only had to add straplocks and black knobs to mine.

Here's the way it came to me:
    fender_jazz5_zps30026d5a.
    Here's with the new knobs:
    539574_10200742861428812_2144525095_n_zpsfd870f86.