best passive bass choices

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by permadave, Feb 24, 2006.

1. permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Hello All,
    Have been using active 5 strings for years now but just for fun last night at practice I pulled out my old 4 string Squire Jazz bass, played a few songs and everyone (including myself) was floored by the tone. It sounded very beefy and 70's through my 400+. It amazed me that a 200.00 bass blew away the tone of my other more expensive basses. It's making me GAS for a passive 5 stringer. My thoughts so far is Fender Jazz or Rumblefish 5L. I would probably just get the fish except I hear they are not too good for slapping.

Any suggestions on these or other passive 5 strings?
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Dingwall Afterburner 1:

3. A Stingray is about as most active as you can get... I think it was actually one of the first if not the first production model active bass.

The absolute best sounding passive bass I've heard in a long time is the Lakland Skyline DJ model... simply amazing sounding aggressive J tone.
  4. permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Ahh... well scratch that then. Now you see why I need help, lol. I haven't had the pleasure of playing one, only hearing how good it sounds live...
  5. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    +1 or a Skjold Stage Series
  6. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I like the Lakland DJ5 or JO5 for passive basses
  7. Like you I play active when I need the punch and slap tone. Recently I have been exploring the various tone given by various basses. After much research and trials I spend the money on a Fender Marcus Miller V. It has that Fender jazz tone when played finger. Both pick up gives you the flexibility.
    Frankly, for me (and that's my opinion) the stock active preamp sucks. I mostly play passive with it. If I need the punch on that bass, I use the outboard Sadowsky pre (which I can also use for other basses). Slap tone is good (read, I was expecting worse).
    Anyway, just an idea. Give it a try if you can. It's more expensive than it's 4 string counter part but it shows. The build quality and material used is very good.
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Fender Roscoe Beck 5.

I own and have owned basses -- both active and passive -- that cost way more than the RB5. I love the RB5 as much as any of 'em. The asymmetric neck profile is slightly chunky, but it's so comfortable in my smallish hands. And the variety of tones you can get from it is amazing: each pickup can individually be set to single coil, parallel, or series mode.

Do a search for more info, and check out the BP review (there's a link to it at You'll find lots of believers. No bass will please everyone, but the bottom line is that anyone looking for a passive fiver is making a huge mistake by not checking into the Fender RB5!
  9. Reverend! Get one and don't look back.
  10. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
  11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Try a few and get what you like. I've played Fuzzbass' Fender Roscoe Beck 5 and it's great. Personally I love my USA Fender Jazz V. There are a lot of options!
  12. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    +1 Big Time.
  13. permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA

I agree with trying things out. It seems that no one much carries 5 string fender jazz basses locally. GC says they can special order one... seems weird that its so hard to find a 5 string Fender in a town of this size...
  14. Munudo

Nov 27, 2005
    Rose City, OR
    I just had a bass made for me by Josh Helms. Its my first passive bass and it beats the pants off my 2 MM stingray 5's. It's the best bass i've ever played. So i feel you man. Here is a couple of pics i have of it

Attached Files:

15. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a Rev 5L, and it's sweeeet;)
    I have a 62 RI Jazz, that's real nice, and a 51 RI Precision that's pretty sweet too. All these are very differnet from each other.
    Just to confuse you more, the Lakland SKyline Hollowbody is a very kewl passive bass as well, and very different from the above.

Do you have to have just one?...;)
  16. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I'd go with an American Fender Jazz.
  17. +1 Can't go wrong.
  18. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Ones that do it for me...

SB-1, 2
    Roscoe Beck
    Rumblefish JJ
  19. Check out a Lakland 5 passive, bass nuts on low B for miles!!! ;)

20. permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Went on a music store tour today and played some Fender Jazz's a G&L L 2500. I loved the G&L and though its not totally passive, it sounds great in passive mode. I am seriously considering this bass. I liked it much better than any of the Fenders.