1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Passive Jazz Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Livewire, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Livewire

Livewire Yahtzeeee

Nov 13, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups in my jazz bass project bass right now and I'm not satisfied with them. I thought the tone was kind of thin for my taste. I'm looking for versatile pickups since my band plays so many different styles of rock and covers. I've been looking into delano and nordstrands but they're over $200 and I couldn't find too many sound clips or videos on youtube. I'm not a fan of the seymore duncan line of jazz pickups. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Joe

2. I have a set of these from VVG in a custom jazz alder/maple body with a maple/maple neck and love 'em. Pete does a great job and you can call him to talk about anything special. They're under $200

http://vintagevibeguitars.com/pickup_bass.html#

3. well the DiMarzio Js would be the total opposite, quite thick but not versatile (IMO) unless you do the series parallel switching you get a bit more options. Before using my SGD "jazzbuckers" I was a bit fan of Nordstrands NJ4SV and NJ4SE (both can be under 200 used)

4. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe

Apr 12, 2010
    which dimarzio j's do i want if i want a jazz to sound like a jazz... just a little better without the hum?
    this is for a mim jazz that currently has stock pickups.

5. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe

Apr 12, 2010
    ps, i'm trying to decide between the model j's, the ultra j's, and the area j's.

6. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Joe, have you tried a bit of EQ on your amp, rather than spending money on the bass and perhaps not liking it?

7. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    This is a good point. I would make sure you have the right amp and perhaps a DI/preamp as well before deciding to change the pickups, since the latter might not be the source of the problem sound.

8. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    try bartolinis, ive used them in several of my basses... definitely not thin sounding... and not too expensive either. less than 150 for a 4 string set... they sound warm and can also get very trebly without getting nasal...

9. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    I don't think Marco sells his pickups as stand alones— but these are the best pickups I've ever heard. Clear. No noise. High output. And frankly, as this link shows the most modern sounding passive pups out there. There is no preamp! Just bass and pickups into the amp.

tc electronic rh750 & marco bass guitars by Ariel and lem mcewen - YouTube

Marco hand winds these to your sound spec, but he does have a philosophy to his pickup design that he's more than willing to share with you! And his basses are beautiful and magnificently priced...

10. ethanbowen666

ethanbowen666

Jan 8, 2011
    Bassist, shadowseerband.com
    You guys should check out these Jazz pups,

SGD Pickups

There are sound clips at the bottom, check out clips 4-8.
    I wanna see what you guys think... I kinda like um

11. MG514

MG514

Feb 25, 2015
    Auburn WA
    Can anyone add to this for me? I am still shopping myself.

12. blastbass

blastbass Banned

Mar 8, 2016
    bombay
    Suhr Classic J vintage.

13. MG514

MG514

Feb 25, 2015
    Auburn WA
    Might I ad my budget is around $150 for BOTH. They need to be passive. 4 string.

14. blastbass

blastbass Banned

Mar 8, 2016
    bombay
    selowitch likes this.
  15. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Bill Lawrence, Seymour Duncan, Delano, and Nordstrand are all excellent. There are tons more.

16. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    So if you go with the noiseless/humbucking jazz lickups, does it reduce the output level? I am just thinking a good preamp pedal may be in order for me when I upgrade my pickups.

17. blastbass

blastbass Banned

Mar 8, 2016
    bombay
    I have used both basslines and nordstrand noise cancelling pickups and they don't have lesser output than the other single coils. Can be used with or without a preamp pedal.

18. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Two things from my POV:

First, I have never heard a hum cancelling pickup that can actually get the booty that the single coils can produce. So, any choice in a hum cancelling variety is going to be somewhat subjective. That said, I have had best results for my purposes with the Delano JMVC4. Here is a link to a live clip, and you should be able to link to other tunes from that gig there.

As far as single coil replacements go, there certainly are a lot of choices. I've recently read some unhappy posts about Seymour Duncans; but, my favorite single coil is the Seymour Duncan SJB2. Duncan makes others, and I can't tell whether the general unhappiness is related to all or just some of them. Anyhow, the SJB2 does it for me. YMMV

blastbass likes this.
  19. acebase62

acebase62

Jun 29, 2010
    Area Js.