1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best Pawn Shop Find EVER!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jchrisk1, Mar 15, 2010.

1. jchrisk1

jchrisk1

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    Yesterday I stopped at this pawn shop to kill some time. So, I'm looking at the basses and see an SX and think " I wonder how cheap this will be". I look at the tag ..................$699.99.............I look again, $699.99. I walked away in disbelief and then went back and looked again because I had to have been looking at the wrong tag. No, it was $699.99. Unbelievable!

2. If you talked them down to 500$ that would be the best score ever :)

People amuse me.

3. ha ha ha the old headstocks are gaining value quick...

I'll sell you one of mine for $550 ;)

4. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Geez, prices like that make me wish I had snapped up that Squire on the local craigslist the other day. He only wanted $395 for it. I'm not kidding.

5. silen7ce

silen7ce

Dec 11, 2006
    What a deal!

6. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    you shudda just walked up to the owner and slapped him with the back of your hand!!! (j/k)

7. vicvarado

vicvarado

May 10, 2008
    Sabinal, Texas
    Have you considered selling that pawn shop an SX? lol

8. The owner absolutely deserves it if he is going to sell it for that price. :rollno:

9. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Oct 30, 2007
    The Road
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Musical Instruments, SIT strings
    i bet the person who pawned it/sold it is happy he walked away with 2-300 quick dollars.

10. this is a good idea. if they're selling it for $600, they probably paid at least $200 for it. you could double your money!

11. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX
    Having dealt with pawn shops in the past and knowing people in the business I can assure whoever sold that bass to that shop got maybe $75 for it. If the owner was stupid enough to give him 2-300 he wouldn't be in business making deals like that. Pawn shop owners know what things are worth. They're just trying to see if anyone will bite at that price.

12. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Humm, I'd think the pawn shop was rather uninformed about value of it. Either that or they are really out to screw peeps royal on prices. Lol.

13. Mike19

Mike19

Aug 11, 2009
    Tallahassee, Fla
    I think the price tag was supposed to be $69.99 and an employee screwed it up with an extra 9.

14. queevil

queevil

Aug 6, 2009
    Waco,TX
    Take an SX bass to a pawnbroker, especially one that does any business in musical instruments and ask them if they'll give you $175 for it. Hell, ask them if they'll give you $125 for it. If the answer is yes then they won't be around long.

15. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    If you dont care about offending people, you should go in and offer him a firm $50.

Then laugh and walk out if they dont take you seriously.

Like someone else said, they are either totally clueless or totally trying to murder your wallet.

16. When I was first getting into playing the bass I went to a pawn shop looking to buy a cheap used one. I had settled on one of the cheap Yamahas that go for $140.00 new. I figured I could get one used for about $50.00 just to see if I could get into playing the bass. I walked into the pawn shop and saw one of the Yamaha basses I was looking for with a pricetag of $165.00. This bass was beat to hell with missing strings and a knob and I asked him if he'd take $50 bucks for it. He asked me what it said on the tag and I told him $165. He says, "then I'll TAKE 165." I mentioned that these basses sold new for $140.00 and he said, "then go buy it new." Needless to say I walked out and am now happy with my Fender Highway One Jazz.

17. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - The Final Frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    That was my thought, there'll be a happy ex-SX owner out there!

18. afireinside

afireinside

Jan 3, 2008
    Michigan
    Ya 98% of pawn shops KNOW what they have but are just trying to get that ONE fool to bite. Sorry to say they usually do...... though it may take a few years. I keep stopping at 2 different shops just to see if they have the same WAAAAY over priced guitars, yup. One has a REALLY Obviously "Chinabanez" fake Ibanez Jem at the whopping price of $450.00 Oh well I have gotten a MIJ strat for $150 and a Mint MIA strat for $125 so you never know the crack they are smoking that day

19. Frettage

Frettage

May 30, 2009
    Louisville, CO
  20. afireinside

afireinside

Jan 3, 2008
    Michigan
    And for 699.99 I will take 6 of them. Direct from Rondo

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020