1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best pedal for looping

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by eKay, Apr 20, 2016.

1. eKay

eKay

May 8, 2014
    I mean audio looping, not effects loop switchers. Like the Ditto Looper or Ditto Looper X4 from TC Electronic, or EH Nano Looper 360. I tried a search but didn't find much. The main thing I'm interested in doing is laying down a groove for oh say 8 or 16 bars, then picking up another instrument to play over that. I'd want to do it live in a band situation. I like the idea of overdubbing and undo, and some effects could be fun but the reverse and 1/2 speed type effects don't do anything for me. I'm a bit of a tone snob so any tone suckage will be looked down upon.:D

What do/would you use? Any of them particularly suited (or unsuited) for bass?

Cheers!

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Live?

Boomerang III or the pigtronix Infinity.

3. eKay

eKay

May 8, 2014
    Wow, those look cool. Also kinda big, and a bit pricey. I guess the size isn't a show stopper, but I'm not sure I want it to dedicate that much space to something I would use sparingly.

4. ProfFrink

ProfFrink

Jan 16, 2015
    If you're willing to spend both money and time, TC VoiceLive 3 is pretty impressive. I'm slowly learning to use mine. It's very nice.

5. eKay

eKay

May 8, 2014
    Ah, yeah the singer/guitar player in my band has one of those, I think. Way cool stuff.

Any recommendations on the cheaper/smaller pedals, like the ones I mentioned?

ProfFrink likes this.
  6. I've got the Ditto, and it sounds good and works great. Very simplistic feature wise though. But small and reasonably priced.

Cheers,
    Kalle

ProfFrink likes this.
  7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I had a Boss RC-3 that worked very well.

ProfFrink likes this.
  8. Hotone Wally if you're pressed for space.

There is no "best", just what works for any given player's needs. Sounds like a Ditto would be fine for you...

9. Ditto x2. I think they are discontinued now but having a dedicated stop footswitch is helpful IMO. The boss and digitech stuff (haven't tried the jamman express) are good for guitars and sampling but but i think they were more so designed for guitar because it's difficult to get rid of tone suck. The jamman for example has an input level and you can't get it anywhere near even to you're normal level without the pedal clipping.

eKay likes this.
  10. eKay

eKay

May 8, 2014
    I was starting to lean towards the Ditto X2, partly because of the dedicated stop switch. This is exactly the type of info I was looking for, thanks!

11. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    The EHX 720 looks very appealing to me (and my intended use is similar to yours).

12. strost

strost

Oct 2, 2008
    Blacksburg, VA
    I am having this same debate right now, did you get one eKay? Leaning toward the Ditto or Ditto x2 since I like simple.

13. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    I've been happy with a Boss RC-3 very versatile.
    Have it up for sale because I need other stuff.. but I'm sure I'll be wanting it back once sold.

14. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    I had a RC20 and sold it....bought a electro harmonix and hated it.....bought rc20xl. Great pedal. Easy to use

15. strost

strost

Oct 2, 2008
    Blacksburg, VA
    Just ordered a Boss RC-3. The Ditto really appealed to me, but in the end I want to play around with recording things and the Boss seemed like the best fit. I didn't want to have to mess around with hooking up my laptop every time I wanted to save an idea.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021