1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best pedal of all time

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jnevi9nr, Mar 6, 2010.

1. jnevi9nr

jnevi9nr

Aug 17, 2009
    Washington, DC
    to include discontinued pedals.

2. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    In my honest opinion, the TU-2.

It has been ensuring that we stay in tune for years, which is so much more important than melting faces with high gain fuzz, although admittedly less awesome.

Yeah there are better tuners out there; cheaper tuners, one's with a better bypass, better tracking tuners, one's with better ranges, but even so, how many pedalboards have you seen the little white buggers on? I proudly have one on my pedalboard, great for silent tuning and the buffer is great for long signal chains. It's popular for a reason, does the job, well.

But yeah, the Korg Pitchblack would probably be my choice if I had to replace my TU-2, but that's another matter!

3. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I can tell, this thread will be chock of win.

4. OilcanRacer

OilcanRacer

May 7, 2009
    white bread light toast and a whole roasted chicken.

5. rosstanium

rosstanium

Jan 5, 2008
    Detroit
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario
    You have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka.

6. jnevi9nr

jnevi9nr

Aug 17, 2009
    Washington, DC
    ok, so i got tuner. good call. i was thinking people would come in here with mutrons, big muff, stuff like that. feel free to share folks. dont be shy.

7. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    Elwood?

And Joliet Jake?

8. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

Jul 17, 2005
    Wales, UK
    I'm not trolling here, and I don't care if I get flamed for this, but IMHO the TU-2 is too inaccurate to be an effective tuner. I had one for 6 months and got tired of having to fine tune my instruments by ear, using harmonics at gigs. With what Korg, Sonic Research and Peterson have to offer I don't see any reason why people would want to use the TU-2.

In terms of best pedal, I'd say a blender of some sort. I use an Xotic X-blender personally. Of course, a blend pedal is only of use if you have existing pedalsand you want to bring back some clean signal. For dirt pedals, a blender is an incredible tool to have as it gives you the abilty to mix in some more low end or clean signal and have the ability to emulate the sound of a bi-amp rig. It also helps to add definition to distortions and fuzzes.

9. stoolpigeon

stoolpigeon

Dec 17, 2009
    Greenville SC
    You will definitely get flamed...owned all types of tuners over the years..never had a problem with a TU-2...and Ive tried it back to back against high end strobe tuners....you must have had a lemon.

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    With such a vaugue topic, I considered passing. But, in the context of where it's going now- I'll say, (though a good tuner is a given), a good compressor pedal. EBS MultiComp, the new Markbass comp, or my favorite, the Trex Squeezer.

11. BigBassBob

BigBassBob

Jul 17, 2005
    Wales, UK
    That may be so, but the guitarist in the band I was in at the time had a TU-2 on his board as well and he felt the same way. If you take a pair of identical guitars (both optimally set up), one tuned using a TU-2 and one tuned with a strobe tuner of some kind, I bet you will hear a distinct different between the pair when strumming open chords. Granted it would not be that much of a difference but why bother settling for "it's okay" when you could spend a minute amount of extra cash to have the peace of mind of knowing you are as close as being in tune as possible.

12. soulplane83

soulplane83

Aug 16, 2008
    Portland, OR
    No such thing exists.

13. ItsMichaelYeah

ItsMichaelYeah

Jun 4, 2008
    Miami,FL
    I'm not going to get into which pedal. But I think a tuner is the best pedal ever made. I know some people like to tune by ear. But when **** hits the fan mid set and you have your jerk of a guitarist playing with is guitar it helps.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 23, 2020