1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best pedal to Shift pitch in 1/2 steps.. up or down

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by VONDOMAN, Dec 6, 2016.

1. VONDOMAN

VONDOMAN

Mar 16, 2015
    NC
    I'm in the praise team at church, & one big issue is practice vs rehearsal. The band practices at home along with the cover song as requested.
    But get to rehearsal and singer(s) want to experiment with different keys.
    Is there an accurate pedal to change pitch on the fly?

2. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Pitchshifting---a blind shootout for your perusal

TL;DR the Digitech Drop won the shootout but it only shifts down, in half-steps, up to seven half-steps. Eventide Pitchflex (found in the Pitchfactor or H9) will do up or down but won't be as convenient on-the-fly and is obviously expensive. Line6 M5 is a similar not-bad option.

Caveats that no pitchshifter is perfect because it's a very difficult task to do. YMMV for how much you care about the tone and latency issues these bring (IMO the Drop introduces minimal latency; for all three, the tone depends on a lot of factors). But since you are asking for a pedal solution, I am giving you the pedal answer, unlike many who will tell you to change tuning, use a 5-string, etc. (I'm saying this more for those people than for you.)

mikeyjm2, LowRenzo, Spectrum and 3 others like this.
  3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Don't look for technological solutions to theory problems.

4. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    And that is what I was talking about.

mikeyjm2, LowRenzo, petrus61 and 8 others like this.
  5. Plectrum72

Plectrum72 Supporting Member

The Zoom B3 and MS-60B have pitch shifters (PitchSHFT & MonoPitch) that allow you to go up or down in 1/2 step increments. Amount of color is adjustable. Tracking is good enough that I use it to switch to flat tuning for the songs in our set list that call for it with a tap of the foot instead of swapping instruments. Switching tuning on the fly while playing isn't going to happen for more than one preset though.

Still need to shift your pattern up or down the fretboard for multiple key changes within a song (Gospel songs?) though.

Novarocker and LowActionHero like this.
  6. DigiTech Drop is the best. The Bass Whammy uses the same technology and performs just as well with the addition of being able to pitch up BUT you have a limited set of transposition choices.

But I would agree with those who would say you're better off learning how to transpose the songs. It is a skill that you'll use a lot if you're doing church music or jazz.

mikeyjm2, TrevorOfDoom and lz4005 like this.
  7. It's not a theoretical problem, :spit: it is very much a real one.

Can the Ricochet solve the OP's dilemma?

blindrabbit likes this.
  8. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    The Ricochet has the same "only certain intervals" problem as the Whammy series.

blindrabbit likes this.
  9. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Music theory.

10. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    I often wonder if shopworkers (wood, metal, whatever) ask questions about tools on forums and are met with responses of "meh, just do a better job with the tools you already have!"

11. Thanks Adam.

Y'don't say? :laugh:

blindrabbit likes this.
  12. Plectrum72

Not sure if they have a tool that will effectively allow multiple key changes on the fly within one song (praise music does this often). I've mentioned (as have you and others) tools that allow tuning changes with limited capability to facilitate key changes. So, I think it's more a matter of "work with tools that are currently available, learn to work without tools, or invent a better tool." ;)

13. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    I don't think the OP is looking for key changes in-song, that's not how I'm reading it. I think the OP is looking for when they have practiced one way and they are testing different keys so that they don't have to transpose on the fly. If you use certain open strings then not everything is just hand positioning. Or if you are going off of chord charts in one key.

Honestly, though, with the pitchshifters on a Zoom or a Line6 and properly setting up your patches OR with MIDI control of an Eventide unit, you could actually do in-song changes to some extent.

LowRenzo, Plectrum72 and blindrabbit like this.
  14. Plectrum72

^ Good point. I didn't read it that way. Also, sadly, I own a Zoom B3 and didn't think to run 3 shifters in a row :rollno:

*Edited to correct spelling/punctuation and to point out the emoji is me shaking my head at myself (in case there was confusion).

15. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    I meant more like a few presets for different tunings and switching between those. Easy enough to do on a Zoom MS series or a Line6 M series. Running shifter --> shifter --> shifter is going to sound bad, I agree.

Plectrum72 and blindrabbit like this.
  16. The first reply was the correct answer. @Adamixoye knows his stuff in this regard.

Fuzzbass, LowRenzo, Spectrum and 2 others like this.
  17. Plectrum72

Ha, I meant shifter-->shifter-->shifter each with a different tuning and doing an on/off tap dance so only one is engaged at a time. I need to experiment more. I usually just find a setting I like with each of my pedals and then it's either on or off.

18. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    Ah, fair enough. That's a brute force option, but it would work.

blindrabbit likes this.
  19. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    Partner - CCP Pedals

Get out.

20. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Alien Audio Fanatic!! Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    You'll do best with learning to transpose, but if you must have a pedal I would go with the Digitech Drop or a Line 6 M series. I prefer the M9.

Fuzzbass, nicopiano and pfschim like this.