Best pedal tuner?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by parrott, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Been looking about, narrowed it down to Boss TU-2, Sabine NEX-500 or the Korg DT-10.

I can't find a bad word about any of them, and as far as I can tell, there isn't a difference between them, really ('cept the Sabine is $10 cheaper).

Anyone have any experience with any of these* ?

*I know everyone has the Boss, and all those people can't be wrong..... or can they?
  2. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I own the Sabine. It's a decent pedal, but you need their AC adapter or make a plug adapter since their jack is a tad bit skinnier than the OneSpot/Boss/Dano/etc plugs.
    Akai also makes a pedal tuner that is cheaper I think. check American Musical Supply.
  3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    The TU-2 is an excellent pedal tuner. I've used one for 2 years now. It runs off of battery or a standard 9V wall wart.
  4. Oooh, cheap as "anything" *and* true bypass, but I'm not so keen on the lack of LEDs or the idea that it goes into sleep after 4mins (shorter than my bands shortest song.......).

That's another on the ideas board though - dammit!

5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I used the TU-2 forever and I loved it, especially the fact that you can daisy chain the cables coming out of them. The tuner was excellent, dead on and the seven functions are amazing!
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Exactly, saves you from having to buy a $30 One Spot :)
  7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The TU-2 is great. Solid construction.

I have a DT-10 as well - the TU-2 has stayed on my pedalboard and I take the Korg to take to rehearsals. It's a great solid unit as well, it supposedly has a better bypass but my ears can't tell the difference.

You can't do the pedal chain powering from the Korg, so that's one thing to bear in mind if that's important to you.
  8. groove machine

groove machine

Nov 3, 2003
    Usually all I do is plug my bass into my DI & the TU-2.
  9. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I haven't tried a lot of pedal tuners, but I like my TU-2 a LOT. It's quick and accurate, and you have your choice of muting when you tune, or not.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  11. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
  12. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Echoing the above sentiments, the TU-2 is great. Fast and accurate, great mute for the stage, easy to see without having to look back at my rack...everything I want in a tuner. It's one of those pieces of gear where if something happened to my own, I would get another immediately.
  13. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Does the TU-2 work for 6-string Bass and what about when you have a Hipshot and DROP "D"
    Does it work on that also ?
  14. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Yes, my experience has been that drop D, 6 string standard, and pretty much every slack tuning I've ever tried register on the TU-2 with zero hesitation.
  15. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I always left it in chromatic mode so I could tune anything. I could never figure out which string was 1 and which was 4...but I know an E :)
  16. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    same here, mine has perpetually been in chromatic mode since the first time I used it

I can't imagine using it any other way
  17. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Same here, I use mine in chromatic mode and it tunes my 5-string without a glitch. I've tried a bunch of different tuners in the past including rack tuners. I have settled in on the TU-2 and have no desire to switch to anything else.
  18. Resurrecting an OLD thread.

I just got this: [​IMG]

Fastest tuner I've ever had for bass. I play a five string and it is extremely fast for ALL strings. Less than $50 brand new AND it has a built in rechargeable battery.
  19. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013

What is it?
  20. xvive PT-03. 1509a size and really impressed with it. It's dead quiet while tuning and really is SUPER fast to recognize each string. Easy to read LEDs and when the center light is green, it's in tune.