Best pedal (Wah or Distortion) for playing Doom, Black, Heavy, etc. Metal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Turbo, May 3, 2005.

1. Turbo

Mar 17, 2004
    First which KIND of pedal do you think I should get (Distortion or Wah) and then which model?
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've said it before, I'll say it again, there is no best.

Personally, I haven't found much of a use for a wah in doom or black metal and sometimes not depending on what you consider heavy metal. This type of music tends to be more guitar driven and doesn't leave much sonic space to use a bass wah to its full capabilities.

On that note, I'd say distortion. But probably something grittier that's pretty heavy on the mids like the Big Muff Pi. However, seeing that you'll want to cut through, a relatively clean signal is not a bad idea.
  3. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Check out the Fulltone bass-drive. I searched long and hard for the right distortion/overdive for the metal band i'm in. It can do mild OD to sick distortion. With no loss of the low end. Plus it's true bypass... not a tone sucker.

Edit: I'm also doing (trying to put together) a stoner/doom project, and the Fulltone is pretty good for that stuff too. I also got a Zvex Wolly Mammoth for that, which is the most insane fuzz pedal I've heard. Not very subtle though.
  4. slightly off-topic question: can the odb-3 gain a really raunchy bass sound? I'm using a fender bass with a p and a j pickup and i'm trying to get a sound similar to a chainsaw in my distortion
  5. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    When you say chainsaw, do you mean the effect like Timmy C from Rage and Audioslave? I've been trying to get that sound too, but he makes his own pedals.
  6. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz comes real close.

7. no, i'm talking a really snarling chainsaw sound. if you ever listen to exhumed, think of their bassist's sound. it sounds a like a revved up diesal truck
  8. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    check out the mammoth, here's a

With a down tuned bass and some tweaking you can get a sorta chainsaw-like sound.
  9. ok. cool. just a question tho, do you know if an odb-3 can get a sound like that?? i look at exhumed's first album "gore metal" and Ross sewage, their first bassist, was obviously using distortion. i'm guessing he was using the same pedal all around cuz he also uses distortion in his main band impaled.
  10. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Yep- that's the tone, but I can get a bit more radical than the soundclip if I want. I always though of it more along the lines of a dirt bike.
  11. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I've never heard the album your refering to. But, I had an ODB3, and i hated it. At first it sounded ok, on a practice amp. Once i started using it with my full rig...yuck. I found it to be very flat and processed sounding. Also very noisy. The only decent sound I got out of it was with the gain up just a bit. And that wasn't what I was looking for.

But thats my opinion. You can pick those up used all day for like $50.
  12. well, that's cuz your playing in either E or something closer to standard. the guy i'm talking about plays in B (i'm prettysure) and the band sounds tight as hell. it's wierd, i emailed the guy that recorded on their first album (ross) and suprizingly enough said that was recording through a lineout from a guitar amp, and yet the sound i'm hearing has like, giant punch.
  13. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    timmy c uses a marshall guvnor pedal, ive never heard that he builds his own and im a pretty big fan. I dont keep up on him since he started audioslave though and i know he completly changed his setup, which he is known for a few times. Wolly mamoth is the best one ive heard but its pretty costly. I use a boss turbo distortion that im about to do the bass mod on. ITs VERY grindy
  14. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Get a Marshall Guv'nor II, and you wont be dissapointed. TONNES of low end response. Awesome pedal, well built, true bypass, versatile, and inexpensive.

15. psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Holy **** that thing is awesome!
  16. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I always play drop D, but tuned down a half step so I am actually in C#.

17. My old band played a show with Exhumed and Mortician. I dont know what kind of pedals they use. But i think the sound you are lookin for is the Boss ODB3.
    I prefer the old green tank sovtek big muff myself. Got one off ebay that was missin a nob, and some paint for $40