best percision p-ups for 5 string?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Daffy Funk, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Daffy Funk

Daffy Funk

Nov 10, 2005
    I'm going to get a custom 5 string(frettless)and wanted
    opinions on what percision p-ups are the best.I was thinking
    villex or bartolini,what do you think?I want a p-up(passive)
    that has a natural sound,with an even balance of sound from
    low B to G.Opinions and reccomends for other brands
    is fine too.
    If you have sound clips please post them.
  2. how rude of noone responding to your thread...
    Nino Valenti has recently tried a Nordstrand NP5 and LOVES it!
    Carey Nordstrand is just on the verge of releasing this pup to the public...have a look at his thread in this forum.

I can't comment as I don't have any experience with 5 string P's...
  3. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Sometimes those with a lot of information and insignt can't reply becaues it wouldn't be appropriate given the forum rules. ;) Nevertheless, hopefully others who have experience with 5-string P pickups will respond with time....sometimes it just takes a while. :)
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    That's quite presumptious of you, I only get onto TB once a day these days due to work/life committments.

Villex pickups are excellent, Barts are perfectly good but not a typical vintage sound. If the Nordstrand NP5 is half as good as the NP4, it'll probably be the best vintage sounding P5 pickup out there.
  5. David, I'm messing around with the "rude" comment...I forgot to include the smiley ;)
  6. mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Delano is another one that makes 5strings precision pups.

i must tell you that i am finding extreme difficulties buying my two quad coil soapbars from him. for some reason, he does not accept payments except through paypal and the system doesnt support Egypt. besides, he isnt the fastest replier to emails. try your luck there.
  7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ok, sorry, I didn't see your handle name otherwise I'd have known it was in jest :)
  8. Daffy Funk

Daffy Funk

Nov 10, 2005
    Thanks for the replies.
    I'm kind of dissapointed that no luthiers put up
    any info,if anything they should have expierience with
    all types of p5 p-ups.
    I also read the thread on the new Nordstrand NP5 and
    am interested.Mr.Nordstrand, if you happen to see
    this thread could you give me a detailed explinaition
    on sound,tone,balance and output.
    And anyone with expierience on any other p5 p-ups would
    help also.
  9. Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Well, I could tell you that the pickup has a nice full range tone. Full lows, punchy mids, and present but pleasant highs. It could mean all that to me, but tone is so subjective that you may hear it and think that it's lacking mids and the lows are boomy. Also, there are so many other factors involved in what makes up tone that any information I give you may be overruled by your strings, woods, and amp and cab setup.
    So, let me tell you then that in the test bass, which was Nino's J from the other thread, that it sounded great to me. This was an ash bass with an all maple neck. It had an Aguilar 2 band preamp I think, and it had a passive switch. At first I didn't know that the passive switch was there, and the bass sounded too bright to me and not at all like my P4 test bass. But, that's what preamps do. In general, they remove the capacitance of the cable resulting in a clearer and more present high end. They also tend to dampen some of the character of the mids. So, at first I wasn't sure if I liked the pickup, because I really prefer passive tones with lots of midrange character - not necessarily lots of mids, but lots of texture and personality. Anyway, I found out about the passive switch and tried the bass again and it sounded just like I thought it should. Very nice! Full, clear and lots of mid character.
    My test rig is an Aguilar DB750 with a GS112 and Phil Jones 9B cabs.
    The only way to really know if a pickup is right for you though is to try it...

Hope that helps!
  10. The problem with a test rig is all the coloration introduced by various electronics and speaker cabs.

I've been recording my 3 basses DI into my digital recording station using a Countryman 85 DI on +48v phantom power. The resulting CD quality WAV files are played back through a pair of HPM-100 reference speakers.

The DI recordings are simply breath taking in their clarity. I can hear significant difference between basses, and series/parallel switching on the same bass. String differences are also quite apparent.

I'd like to hear some high quality clips of the Nordstrand pickups and others. My samples are available on my web site, but alas I do not know anybody with Carey's pickups installed.
  11. Daffy Funk

Daffy Funk

Nov 10, 2005
    Wow!A reply from the man himself!Thank you Mr.Nordstrand.
    Your P5 p-ups sound like what I'm looking for,I like p-ups
    that have good low and mids,that aren't too strong in the
    highs.I'm a passive guy,so the sound without an active pre-amp
    is whats most important to me.So many people play active
    its hard to get info on how alot of 5string p-ups sound passive.
    Thank you for answering my questions,your p-ups are on the
    top of my list now. :D