Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best performance amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lady Jayde, Jul 19, 2002.

1. Lady Jayde

Lady Jayde

Jul 17, 2002
    Florida
    Please give me ideas on what would be a good performance amp for playing in church.. I have a $1000 cap.. so please lets not go over board.

2. What are you looking for a combo or head/cabinet? How loud do you need to be?

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    For 1000...

$370 Poweramp, which will get you about 1000 watts (more than you'll ever need)
    I suggest Carvin or QSC

And then a pre-amp...a Peavey Max is an excellent pre-amp that runs about $250 new, and less used. It's Peavey, but believe me, it's no slouch. Most rightious pre.

That gives you about 600 bucks for a cab(s) there's a lot to be had for 600. The usual suspects are Ampeg, Eden and SWR. Others are out there, but these are widely available and definitely good cabs. Then you have the hassle of speaker arrangements? a 4x10 cab? 2x10?
    For a church gig, unassisted, I'd venture a Eden D-210XLT (available at www.basscentral.com, who have a toll free phone number, btw). Of course, I wouldn't buy the cab unheard. A trip down to Orlando with/for the church would be worth it. For 1000, you want to spend it right.

Really, that's the best advice I can offer...call Bass Central. Infinitely informative and helpfull, especially because I'm not current on cab prices...:(

4. Lady Jayde

Lady Jayde

Jul 17, 2002
    Florida
    Thnx alot Brendan..

5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'm not trying to step on any toes here but I think that the list price on the Max is $419.99. Getting one at $250.00 new would be a little over 40% off list. That's not unheard of but in my experience, which is very limited I assure you :D, 40% off list is not typical pricing. Somewhere between 20 & 30% would probably be more accurate. The Max is a rightgeous preamp and I love mine. :cool:

6. Lady Jayde

Lady Jayde

Jul 17, 2002
    Florida
    Well thnx for the help guys.. we won't be purchasing an amp for about another month or two but thanx for the info.. i'll keep in touch

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    What kind of music will you be playing? How loud? Do you have a PA?

I'd recommend an Ampeg B-100R combo for anything, with the exception of the largest church environment with no PA (granted, in that size church you'd probably have a PA). The only drawback might be if you need the exaggerated sizzle of a tweeter. It has nice smooth highs and handles a low B extremely well. This amp sounds great with any number of strings.

8. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Hi LJ,

At church, I used to use a a Fender Bassman 200, but I just upgraded to a Yorkville Bassmaster 400. I'm assuming you're talking US dollars, that should definitely be within your budget.

What's your set up for service like? We have acoustic and lead guitars, bass, drums, percusion, and keyboards, as well as 4-5 vocalists. You should check the wattage of your guitarist(s) amp(s) as well, you'll need to go at least 3x higher in wattage to compete (that's why I upgraded, the 'Bassman wasn't mine and it wasn't twice the wattage of my lead guy's 'Cyber Twin, and we're in a band together as well!)

All of these things need to be considered when you're planning to purchase an amp. Play through a few different ones with your own bass before you make a decision. If you're interested in a review of the BM400, I reviewed it over on ActiveBass.com and will be posting another review of it on this site shortly as well.

9. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    If your just playing a church, all you need is a good combo amp... Heck, a 4x10 with a 200 watt head would be more that you need but would be good... or a Peavey TNT combo and get a 2x10 external cabinet and you will have great tone, and just an all out awsome amp.

10. SansAmp Bass Driver DI = $190

QSC RMX850 power amp = $300

(2) 4 ohm Avatar 2x10" cab = $400

With shipping it'd run just about exactly $1000.

11. Allan, I agree with all of it except for the two Avatar B210's. I'd suggest one B210 and one B115. I would also suggest 8 ohm cabs rather than 4 ohm cabs. They're more flexible in a multi-cabinet situation. And you could always run bridged mono and get the 4 ohm power to both cabs run in parallel, if needed.

Lady Jayde, if you can swing it, I'd suggest adding a compressor as well. It will increase the signal from the SansAmp Bass Driver DI to the level the RMX 850 needs to see to get to full rated power, and it will offer the chance to do some noise gating, too. I have a dbx, but there are a few of them out there for around $100 on eBay.

Again, JMO.

12. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I'll second that, I love mine. :D

13. Ronzo said...

Allan, I agree with all of it except for the two Avatar B210's. I'd suggest one B210 and one B115. I would also suggest 8 ohm cabs rather than 4 ohm cabs. They're more flexible in a multi-cabinet situation. And you could always run bridged mono and get the 4 ohm power to both cabs run in parallel, if needed.

Everyone's different, Ronzo :)

I run a 210XLT + 115XL off a stereo power amp and would never bridge the amp - the 2x10 is a fair bit louder than the 15" cabinet. When they're on separate channels you can balance the volume between cabs a little - and for me that's critical.

The only reason I recommended 4 ohm 2x10 cabs is because we're on a budget here - otherwise I'd have said 8 ohm 2x10 + 1x15 Eden and an RMX2450 :D

The 4 ohm 2x10s will give her the most headroom for the buck - and she can still use just one of them for smaller rooms. I didn't see how big the church was or whether they had a PA - so I compromised tone a little bit for maximum headroom.

Everyone has different ideas - and none of them are necessarily wrong - with a little more information (and a little bigger budget) we'd probably have agreed right down the line.

On the compressor - I don't know whether she needs one or not, but I'd sure spend the $180 for an RNC if I were gonna buy one.

cheers,

allan

14. Well, I'm certainly different, anyway! ;)

There are a few good answers here. Many may even be right! :D

In any case, Allan, I run the Avatar 2x10 + 1x15 setup myself, and the volume between the two cabs is similar to my ears. I agree that the ability to balance between the two cabs with the different power amp channels is a plus, but I was thinking of bridging only in the most power-hungry situations. In a praise and worship structure, that's unlikely. If the church is that large, the PA will be of high quality. It would be needed to get the message across clearly to a very large congregation.

No harm. No foul. And the RNC is an excellent compressor.

15. Yup - it's perfectly okay to disagree a little.

The difference in volume between my Eden cabs is significant - I generally run one channel at about 85% and the other side full up.

If you've got the power to push the cabs I agree with you completely - but driving 8 ohm cabs even my spiffy 1000w power amp lacks headroom. So - I'm ditching the amp for an RMX2450. I figure 500w per channel into 8 ohms is about where I want to be. Any louder than that and I oughtta be going through the PA anyhow.

Anyway, maybe we oughtta get her to bump her budget up a little - then she could get the 2x10 + 1x15 and enough juice to drive them properly :)

cheers,

allan

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

My main additional question would be :

How much can you lift and how far can you carry it?

Unless you have a gang of roadies working for you this would be my main consideration - it certainly narrows down the choices for me anyway! ;)

So - you might find that you cannot even pick up some of the choices suggested to you, let alone carry them to a car - if you have one....!

17. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I like all of these ideas.. the only one I question... and its not a big disagreement, but it is with the Sansamp bassdriver DI.. Now I love this little thing. for recordings, its hard to beat..

However, for live performance, I feel that it is lacking... I doubt it is the battary since I use an power supply... I don't know.. maybe i'm crazy.. I wouldn't put it past me to be crazy

18. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    How about the new Tech21 SansAmp rackmount unit? I hear they're great, but I haven't tried one. The local store sells them before they even arrive. I believe it is still under $300. But it might push the price a bit high if one spends this much on a pre. With this sized budget, I'd consider an Ampeg or Hartke head with one or two Avatar speaker cabinets. Otherwise a Nemesis 210 setup may fit the bill if you can deal with a combo amp.

19. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    When you say, "I sacrificed tone a little bit for maximum headroom", do you mean that the tone of the 4 ohm cabs is different from the 8 ohm cabs? Or is 4 ohm tone different in general? This is a question I've been trying to figure out for a long time, and no-one seems to have an answer. If you have thoughts on the matter, please share!

20. Hi, Chris -

I meant that I prefer the tone of a 2x10 + 1x15 over a 4x10 or a pair of 2x10s - so the compromise in tone for me would be in the lack of a 15" driver.

Since no one but Carvin makes a 4 ohm 15" cab I chose 2x2x10 instead of 2x10 + 1x15 because I could go with lower impedance (hence more output wattage) instead of a pair of 8 ohm cabs.

I believe solid state amplifiers produce more distortion when presented with a lower impedance load - but I don't know if the difference would be audible.

I've heard lower impedenace cabs don't sound as good too - but no one's been able to explain why. Maybe both of us will learn something here :D