Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Piccolo gauge strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Subculture13, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I am thinking about converting one of my basses to a piccolo tuning, can anyone reccomend a good brand and at what gauges I should expect to see them at for slotting the new nut? I have been to one store already and they gave me weird looks, they had no clue what I was talking about. I am going to have to custom order whatever it is I decide on, so I didnt want to go in entirely blind.

2. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I would post something in the 'Basses' section and find the guys who play piccolo basses first, and go from there.

3. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Not bad advice, I will try that. Thanks.

4. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    I recently put a set of D'Addario EXL280 XL Piccolo Bass strings on my fretless Fender Jazz. This was an experiment only and I never intended to keep it that way permanently so I went the quick & dirty route.

The D'Addarios are guaged at 20p-32-42-52 and replaced the Fender 9050 M flatwounds I had been using which were gauged at .055, .070, .090 and 105. I had to loosen the truss rod considerably because they buzzed like you wouldn't believe (of course a new nut would solve this if it were to be a permanent change). Amazingly, the intonation was almost perfect with the new strings. For a slightly better temporary solution you could put something (matchbook covers make good donor material) in the nut grooves to build it up. I have to say that my Piccolo Bass experiment proved interesting. I loved playing chords on a fretless instrument and I found myself using it not only for soloing but also for a Freddie Green style of rhythm guitar.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I used to use the D'Addario's BenderR mentioned, but I tried out the new Smith Bass Burners 20P 30 40 50 and they are sweetness in a box.