1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best pick up for tapping ? + where to place it ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Doryan, Aug 16, 2002.

1. I'm having a bass custom build and I alreadydecided to have 2 jazz pick ups at bridge.
    This is ideal for me to play fingerstyle.

But I'm picking up tapping and I noticed on my Aria Pro II that the jazz at the bridge can't quite pick up the tapping sound.

What additional pick up should I have on my bass ?
    Active or passive, precision, MM, another J at the neck, humbucker,.... :confused:

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I'm not sure what you mean. A bridge pickup can "pick up" the tapping sound same as any other. It really comes down to tone. Do you have a certain tone you're going for? I think a humbucker at the MM location would work very well (not an MM pickup though, just a soapbar). Then again Victor Wooten gets a lot of tapping out of a P+J setup.

3. Someone told me that you need a pick up close to the neck. But I don't know a thing about it.
    I'm just picking up tapping.

I do have two basses with P+J setup, and I know for fingerstyle I prefer only the J pick up.
    I tried tapping in every setup, and I didn't think it was great.
    Now that I'm going to get one custom build, I'm sure I'm going to have 2 J-pick ups at the bridge.
    This is only for my fingerstyle.
    So I was wandering if I should have something extra to enhance and improve my tapping sound.
    Or do you think 2 J pick ups at the bridge will be sufficient at the bridge ? They're not opossed aligned so they don't funtion as a humbucker.

Or is P+J the ideal combination ?

4. About tone, I can't really describe it.

I'm into progressive metal, so a high-end low-end sharp rattling tone I have in mind.

To simulate an grand acoustic piano perhaps.

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    A more important factor is perhaps your bass setup. For tapping, the ideal action is extremely low. You can probably do OK with just "pretty low". But medium/high strings don't sound too good when tapped, IMO.

Not sure I can help much more, I don't think there's any "ideal". Except maybe a Stick or Warr Guitar :D

6. Thanks. I once had the oppurtunity to play a stick. But I didn't quite could tap very well then. But I'm develloping a taste for it now, but I wanna stay a bassist and use tapping in the band, with a stick I'll probably become a one-man band.

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    They make a Stick Bass, "only" :) 8 strings, and the 8-string NS/Stick. Also Warr makes an 8-string model too. The standard tuning for all of those is BEADGCFBb.

The NS/Stick probably comes closest to a "tapping bass" where you can play fingerstyle or tapping on it. But the spacing is still pretty narrow for fingerstyle.

8. So the range is bassicly like a "normal" seven string bass + one higher string added.

Now I'm confused, should I learn how to tap on a bass, or should I hold out for a stick ? :confused:

Fingerstyle playing on such narrow string spacing would be no problem for me, I play classical guitar to.

When played fingerstyle, can a stick sound like a bass-guitar wich I can use permantly as well in my band ?

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    There are three different pickups available for the Stick Bass. Checkout www.stick.com for some words and sounds. The NS/Stick has only one pickup option, EMG single coils (actually guitar pickups, two pairs of them, but they work OK). I think it has a pretty good fingerstyle bass sound, though not my cup of tea.

10. That's what I'm afraid of too, in all the time I am a bassist I am in search for the perfect sound (like many of you I guess). And now that I almost have it, I don't wanna throw it away by going to something radical like a stick.

I rather search to get a good tapping sound on a bass than a good fingerstyle on a stick.

Thanks for your advice geshel.

11. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    yum...

I'm seriously considering a stick or a Warr...

GAS!