Best pick up for tapping ? + where to place it ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Doryan, Aug 16, 2002.

1. I'm having a bass custom build and I alreadydecided to have 2 jazz pick ups at bridge.
    This is ideal for me to play fingerstyle.

But I'm picking up tapping and I noticed on my Aria Pro II that the jazz at the bridge can't quite pick up the tapping sound.

What additional pick up should I have on my bass ?
    Active or passive, precision, MM, another J at the neck, humbucker,.... :confused:
  2. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I'm not sure what you mean. A bridge pickup can "pick up" the tapping sound same as any other. It really comes down to tone. Do you have a certain tone you're going for? I think a humbucker at the MM location would work very well (not an MM pickup though, just a soapbar). Then again Victor Wooten gets a lot of tapping out of a P+J setup.
  3. Someone told me that you need a pick up close to the neck. But I don't know a thing about it.
    I'm just picking up tapping.

I do have two basses with P+J setup, and I know for fingerstyle I prefer only the J pick up.
    I tried tapping in every setup, and I didn't think it was great.
    Now that I'm going to get one custom build, I'm sure I'm going to have 2 J-pick ups at the bridge.
    This is only for my fingerstyle.
    So I was wandering if I should have something extra to enhance and improve my tapping sound.
    Or do you think 2 J pick ups at the bridge will be sufficient at the bridge ? They're not opossed aligned so they don't funtion as a humbucker.

Or is P+J the ideal combination ?
  4. About tone, I can't really describe it.

I'm into progressive metal, so a high-end low-end sharp rattling tone I have in mind.

To simulate an grand acoustic piano perhaps.
  5. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    A more important factor is perhaps your bass setup. For tapping, the ideal action is extremely low. You can probably do OK with just "pretty low". But medium/high strings don't sound too good when tapped, IMO.

Not sure I can help much more, I don't think there's any "ideal". Except maybe a Stick or Warr Guitar :D
  6. Thanks. I once had the oppurtunity to play a stick. But I didn't quite could tap very well then. But I'm develloping a taste for it now, but I wanna stay a bassist and use tapping in the band, with a stick I'll probably become a one-man band.
  7. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    They make a Stick Bass, "only" :) 8 strings, and the 8-string NS/Stick. Also Warr makes an 8-string model too. The standard tuning for all of those is BEADGCFBb.

The NS/Stick probably comes closest to a "tapping bass" where you can play fingerstyle or tapping on it. But the spacing is still pretty narrow for fingerstyle.
  8. So the range is bassicly like a "normal" seven string bass + one higher string added.

Now I'm confused, should I learn how to tap on a bass, or should I hold out for a stick ? :confused:

Fingerstyle playing on such narrow string spacing would be no problem for me, I play classical guitar to.

When played fingerstyle, can a stick sound like a bass-guitar wich I can use permantly as well in my band ?
  9. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    There are three different pickups available for the Stick Bass. Checkout for some words and sounds. The NS/Stick has only one pickup option, EMG single coils (actually guitar pickups, two pairs of them, but they work OK). I think it has a pretty good fingerstyle bass sound, though not my cup of tea.
  10. That's what I'm afraid of too, in all the time I am a bassist I am in search for the perfect sound (like many of you I guess). And now that I almost have it, I don't wanna throw it away by going to something radical like a stick.

I rather search to get a good tapping sound on a bass than a good fingerstyle on a stick.

Thanks for your advice geshel.
  11. pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC

I'm seriously considering a stick or a Warr...