1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

best pick up

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by The D, Oct 13, 2006.

1. The D

The D

Oct 13, 2006
    what is the best pick up for you guys? EMG or Bartolini?

2. barts

3. Saint

Saint

Mar 2, 2000
    DC - USA
    A 22 year old red-head with a perfect body, or a 22 year old blonde with a perfect body, or a 22 year old brunette with a perfect body.

Seriously, though, that does kind of answer the question: they're both great, just different. I've got emg p-pickups in one bass, bartolini w4j's in my fretless, lane poor MM's in another bass, and rickenbacker pickups in my rickenbacker.
    I love them all though depending on what want or need.

Take a look in the Pickups forum: there's alot of back and forth on this and similar topics.

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm...

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    As Saint said, there is no best pickup. The sound is so subjective and it also depends on the combination of the woods, strings, electronics etc.

One guy might love Barts whilst another one hates them.

Take a look at the Pickups FAQ located at the top of this forum, there are bunch of threads that review pickups and also a thread called Basstasters, there you can hear soundclips of various pickups.

5. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Neither. ;)

I tend to like single coils and vintage sound, though, and I think both Bart and EMG are better for a more modern sound. Just my dos centavos.

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Barts all the way for me.
    I don't care for active electronics and hate agressive highs.

7. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

ah but changing hair colour is cheaper than changing pickups :D

8. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    I'm looking at getting 2 SX (Essex) basses, a 4string P and a 5string J. I'm planning on putting EMGs in the P for punch and grit and Bartolinis in the J for the clean clarity and transparency. I also like DiMarzio and was thinking of those instead of the EMGs in the P.

9. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Im crazy to try some of them. Have you tried any other besides the MM in your 7-string?

10. just heard recordings with others....

I'll have a 4 string PJ set (with MM style poles) in my Ibanez Destroyer and hopefully a pair of Jazz 5 in my Benavente before the spring though

11. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    IMO EMG makes the best pickups for live sound. However, if I'm just playing alone in my basement I prefer a passive J or P tone.

12. saxnbass

saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Just for the sake of good humor:
    Dodge Dakota is my fav.
    Toyota Tacoma and Ford F150 aren't too bad either. :D

13. A waitress named Melissa at the Cathay de Grande, Hollywood 1982.

14. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    Dingwall FD3.4's and FD3's, Villex and Nordstrand DC series are my absolute favorites with the FD1's running a close second.

As far as others pick ups go ;) , then i have too many in mind to include right here (I will not make fellow talkbassers blush):cool:

15. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    My favorite pickups are from Q-Tuner and Lane Poor. I'm very happy with the open, natural sound of my Q-Tuner BL-5. Unfortunately, though also great sounding, Lane Poors are much harder to find these days.

If I had to choose between EMG and Bartolini, I would chose Bartolini every time, probably the CB or CX models. EMGs have a harsh, sterile sound to my ears.

16. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    I'm old enough to remember when Bartolini was called Hi-A and used to run little ads in the Guitar Player classifieds - "The Clearest Sound Around". Who'da thunk half of the basses in this world (or so it seems) would come with Barts 25 years later? There must be a reason for that.