1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best pick-ups for a P-bass/J-bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by christobass 416, Jan 2, 2006.

1. I'm lookin to get some new pick-ups for my two basses. Both of them are passive.
    My P-bass is a fretless 4 string. I'm looking to get a really nice, warm, clean tone out of it. I detune it down to B-E-A-D a lot. I might be buying a new fretted neck for it soon, though. I'm not sure.
    My J-bass is a fretted 5 string. I want to get a fat tone out of this. The pick-ups on it now are total crap. The B string is way too quiet.
    I've looked at EMG's, but I want some suggestions. Should I convert them to active? I'm kinda clueless what to do, this is my first time modding a bass.

2. If you want to spend alot of money.

For the P-bass, bartolinis or Nordstrand

for the J-Bass, Aero's or Nordstrand

3. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    To me Bartolini's are very fat, so that might be a something to try for the J bass. No clue on the P though.

4. if you don't have much money to spend, go with dimarzio's or seymour duncan basslines

5. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

A vote for Lindy Fralins, P, J or P/J which is what I've been using in my Wilkins Custom P/J's, IMHO these pickups are nicely balanced Warm & Sweet.

George

6. thanks for all the info!