1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Best pick ups p base

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DBTOYS, Sep 26, 2009.

1. DBTOYS

DBTOYS

Sep 22, 2009
    Bend Oregon
    What would be the best pickups for a American p base
    stock or something better?????

2. I don't think there is a such thing as a base pickup.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I gotta wonder how the OP found this site in the first place...

Anyway...

To DBTOYS..."better" is a relative term. It all depends on what you want. If you like the stock pickup on your P Bass, then by all means run with it.

Personally, I prefer the DiMarzio Will Power middle pickup and have used it on every Precision style bass that I've owned (including a American Hot Rodded P bass). It sounds great and since the pole pieces aren't exposed like a traditional P Bass pickup, I don't experience the clicking/popping sound I do with an exposed pole pickup since I play directly over the pickup.

4. racket

racket

Jul 26, 2005
    Riverside, Ca
    FMIC Employee
    Sound is subjective...The "best" P "BASS" pickup is the one that sound best to you. On that note, I like Fralins. I am into old school tone. My Lakland DD is strung with LaBella flats, foam under the bridge, and came stock with Fralins - tone heaven "for me".

Have fun

5. Pet Politics

Pet Politics My real name is Michael, but how exciting is that?

Nov 14, 2007
    Burbank, CA
  6. gmarcus

gmarcus Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2003
    +1 this is a really ballsy pickup and quite versatile if you add one of his passive tone controls with the mid cut option.

7. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I like in your face aggressive tone most of the time. If not, I want presence and some rumble. That said, Roto 66 strings pulled a miracle with stock pickups on both my HW1 P Bass and Ric 4001. Night and day.