Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best Pickguard for Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ImNotGeddyLee, Apr 5, 2002.

1. I have a natural stingray and im trying to decide what the best pickguard would be for it. I am thinking either Abalone or Mirror... ive only seen Abalone in pics so can some explain to me exactly what it looks like. Does it change when light is reflected off of it or seen from different angles kinda like that Spector finish because thats what it reminded me of in pics. Im looking for something to kinda contrast the natural finish so thats why im debating the mirror...
    im planning on ordering from WD btw.

2. ImNotGeddy, Albalone is similar to mother of Pearl, though not excatly the same. It's used a lot in pocket knife handles. The closest thing I can think of to compare it to for a pickguard would be pearloid. Go to www.pickguards.com and see if they have any there.

Hope that helps,
    Mike J.

3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I think brown Tort-shell always looks cool on natural but you want a contrast...what color is the finger board?

4. my fingerboard is maple... i dont like the black on it
    i want something a bit more exotic.

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    White pearl goes with everything!

6. ...and looks tacky with all of it. ;)

I think it'd be cool to get an orange 'Ray and get a blue mirror pickguard. You won't want for audience attention with that setup.

7. I second that. Red tortoise shell is cool too. Especially on natural. Or white, IMO.

8. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Transparent pickguard........... let the wood talk!!!!

9. i think im going to order a mirror pickguard. When i stick on the mirror im going to have my black one painted by a friend of mine and see what he can do with it.

10. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    I LIKE a nice light blue body with either a darker blue pickguard or else a transparent red pickguard..
    like the steve harris P BASS! =D

11. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I am going to be looking for a new pickguard for the 80's stingray I just bought The Ray is black with a VERY birdseye maple fretboard and it currently has a black pg, but the pg has holes in it from a thumb rest that was previously installed. I removed the thumbrest, but now I want to replace the pg to hide the holes. Please give some advice, even if it is to just get a new black one.

Also, what is the difference between the thin and the normal at somewhere like www.pickguards.com ?

12. Pharmecopia

Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    i like this one

[​IMG]

13. KB, I also have a black Stingray w/black pickguard, although my bass has a rosewood board. I recently saw a bass just like mine in a shop window, but, with a white pearloid pickguard and it looked so good - much better than my black on black baby. It's one thing to imagine what something would look like, and then to actually see it. I'd say your bass would look good with either a black or white pearloid guard, or maybe a tortoiseshell one.

As for the thin and normal thing, I have no idea. Sorry.

Mike J.

14. KB

KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I think I am narrowing it down to the following:

-Tortoise shell
    -Mirror (wonder if that would be too 80's)
    -Black/white/black 3 ply (even though that is kind of the boring normal one)
    -Simulated rosewood (wonder how it would look with a maple board?)
    -Black Anodized (could be interesting)
    -White Pearl

It is really hard to tell since I can't see it in front of me. Any thoughts on these choices with a black ray and very birdseye maple fretboard?

The pictures on the EB website are failry limited and small.

-KB

15. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I would go for clear

16. These are just my opinions, but, I'd go with either the tortiose shell or the white pearloid. Maybe consider black pearloid, it's a little more subtle than the white. None of the others do anything for me.

Mike J.