Best Pickin' Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, Sep 18, 2001.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Need to know which bass is most suitable for pick playing, yet sounds good when played fingerstyle.
  2. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    then you should post this in the basses forum not bassists, youll get more hits there.

Fender Jazz Basses are versatile like that.
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    MM Stingray
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The bass that you do not own.

It's always that bass...
  5. Hmm......
    I'm more of a new hardrock style Ibanez Warwick kinda guy. My suggestion for a bass that sounds good picked or fingered is probably a Fender P-Bass or Jazz Bass. Fender has been at for years you know, and they really know how to tailor an instrument. The P-Bass is really versatile--thats why I like it. It's not my sound but thats besides the point. I like because it can handle lots of styles of music AND playing; thats why you can pick with it, slap, all kinds of genres. The Jazz bass is a little more expensive and it's sound is more narrow in terms of versatiliy but if you appreciate a more warm "Jazzy" style, it's a really nice bass. (Especially the American and Hot Rodded ones that have nice active electronics)

First Choice: Fender P-Bass
    Second Choice: Fender Jazz Bass
    Third Choice: Ibanez SoundGear Models (400+)
  6. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Easy question-

The bass with the tightest string spacing you can get, because it's faster to cross strings when picking. Rickenbacker, Steinberger, some 5-strings with 1/2" spacing, etc.
  7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I disagree, I always found MM's were better played finger style / slapped.

I think Rick's are incredible when picked, same with Precisions. Jazz's are fairly good too.
  8. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    RICKENBACKER or a P bass
  9. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I vote Fender p bass.
  10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Gibson Ripper or Grabber, or T-Bird.
  11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, when you visit European festivals the vast majority of the the harder bands use a MM Stingray/Ampeg SVT stack combination.

So the pick sound of a MM Stingray seems to be liked by a lot of bassists.
    And I rarely see Rics nowadays, except the one that's dating Lemmy Kilminster ;)
  12. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I have both Rickenbacker 4001V63 and the 1976 Gibson Thunderbird and both are incredible when I use my pick but mostly I play with a pick on my V63.

The sound I get from the Rickenbacker is really amazing !!!
  13. does that work then?

Jazz = 3 controls
    P = 2 Controls

Jazz = 2 pickups
    P = 1 Pickup

I'd say the Jazz was more versatile.

Good picking basses include MM, Rics, J + P, Spector and Warwick Thumbs. To my taste are Alembics and Zons.
  14. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

IMO the P is just as versatile as the jazz, just due the the simple fact that the only way I play jazz basses is with the bridge pup soloed. :D

Seriously though... A P's not as versatile as a J, but a P has a totally different sound.
  15. Although I don't play mine with a pick, (as mentioned) Rickenbackers do sound good picked