Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

best pickup combination?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kris pung, Oct 18, 2003.

1. kris pung

kris pung

Jul 25, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I'm designing a five string fretted bass and am planning on using Bartonili pickups. I was leaning towards installing two soapbars to give it that MTD vibe. But I was also wonder how it would sound with a p/soapbar or j/soapbar? I play mostly rock and some classic rock so I need the pickups to have fast articulation, clean tone, and have lots of bottom end. Please tell my the reasoning for your choose.

Thanks,
    Kris

2. I'd say go for the "Deep" wound Bart J-pickups, coupled with an NTMB preamp. Just wonderful!

I have those j-p/ups in my SX fretless right now, and wow! I plan on adding a Bart 2-band EQ to it when I have the money and then dang, will that thing smoke!

3. kris pung

kris pung

Jul 25, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    BASSnSAX

So you think I should set it up similar to a Lakland with asoapbar bridge and a J neck. I will have to try a Lakland this weekend and see how they sound. Thanks for the advice.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA

5. Honestly, when I tried a Lakland out, the humbucker was just far too mellow to be able to stick out in the mix...You're ear is different than mine, so try it out! That's the best way to judge anything...also find out the materials of the Lakland too...

To me, single coils (such as P and J p/ups) have more bite to them, and humbuckers are more mellow...now of course there are exceptions, such as the pickup in the MM Sting Ray...lots of bite. The Bartolini MM p/up is a little more mellow than the Seymour Duncan p/up in the Sting Ray. Hopefully this helped a little.

BUT remember to try it!