1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best Pickup /Hook up Wire - bulk, pre-tinned

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by chinjazz, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Hi,

I'm the past I've searched here on TB to find the best pickup and hookup wire, only to settle on copper Radio Shack stuff.

I've got a few more pick up jobs I'm doing on a first time build and some others in the coming months.

Can anyone suggest a great flexible wire, possibly pre-tinned?
    A real source to get it from. About 20' or more?
    In bulk and not expensive pre-cut short lengths

I bought some stuff that was too thick in diameter I'm the past and I'd like to get this right this time.

Whatever anyone can suggest would be greatly appreciated!

:)

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    I know mojotone sells it, 22AWG stranded pre-tinned; stewmac has the cloth-covered pre-tinned stuff. (By "pre-tinned" i mean the real stuff, where the strands are bundled then solder-dipped; it bends and stays bent like solid-core wire, without being brittle like solid-core.)

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I get my wire from Jameco. I buy 100 foot spools. I don't use cloth covered wire. It's too bulky and a pain in the butt IMO.

4. Cool thanks Walter and SDG!

I just might go for a bigger spool given it's smarter in the long run.

I wouldn't do the cloth as I find it kinda messy and sort of weird.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    where did you find pre-tinned wire on jameco? i couldn't even find it.

(it's annoying, because as often as not you get "tinned", where each strand is itself plated before winding together; that's fine, but real pre-tinned is way better.)

6. I just lost power in my house and my phone is a bit small for browsing at the moment. What I saw was $75 per roll, and I just skipped past it quickly. It said NEW all over the items.

In think SDG was referring to non-tinnned stuff.

I really just want to get away from the copper Radio Shack stuff and used what is most relyable or reasonably so.

7. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ

https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/s...LRXkA==&ddkey=https:StoreCatalogDrillDownView

I always tin my ends before soldering, but it is tinned and not bare copper.

8. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    I use 28 AWG for hookup wire from pickup bobbins. I use 24 for everything else. I don't use 22.

9. Thanks for the extra detail. I might get
    the 28 or 24 gauge after this.