Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Best pickup/preamp for fretless burp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jongor, Jan 12, 2006.

1. jongor

jongor Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
  2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

Don't play fretless but I'd speculate Barts. Interesting site and the first thing I would do is contact that dude and ask him exactly what pup(s) are in that bass blip. Wouldn't hurt to know the pre/harness/controls either and the rest of the signal chain for that matter. If that's the tone you want, there you know you have a pup that will put it out. Other variables aside, it's a start. Also any CD's you have that have that tone, you can try and find out what they were playing (or at least typically play) through online search.

One thing I would definetly think about is the pup configuration. I'd want maximum pup flexibility in terms of swap options cause you may want burp now but something else down the road. And you may not get the tone you want first shot on pups, different variables different sound. I wouldn't stick some freak shaped pup in a bass where you're stuck with a tone. The flexibility is also a selling point on down the road if someone loves the feel but they don't like the tone - and they all get sold eventually.

3. telekaster

telekaster

Feb 14, 2005
    San Diego
    I don't play fretless, but I had a set of Bartolini 9J's in a Jazz bass and the bridge pickup soloed sounded very similar to the example you showed.

To be specific, the bottom of the pickup I'm talking about says "9J-L1". Out of the 6 J bass pickup sets I've tried (MIM standard, Duncan quarter pounders, EMG J, Bartolini 9J, Nordstrand NJ4SV, and whatever comes in the Classic 60's jazz), this one in particular had the burpiest tone of all. It has a good amount of bass for a bridge pickup as well.

Going from my experience, I'd get Barts if I was seeking that tone.