Best pickup(s) for slap tone??

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Panther, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    I have a Peavey RJ 4, and I have been considering updating it a bit, and would like that killer slap tone.

Which pickups should I get for this bass? It has P & J pups, and they are active (1 9 volt battery cavity).

I suspect it would be either EMG or Bartolini.......

Any info would be great-including best place to buy.
  2. A lots of parameters are creating that "killer slap tone".

First of all your technique! Thumb and wrist technique are key.
    Other items may enhance your sound but not as much as good technique.

Settings maybe important for your sound as well.
    Slappers like that V shape eq: "boost highs and lows, cut mids". Obviously this can also be done on your amp or your bass.
    If you have two pickups, play with them and adjust to your taste. Neck will be more smooth, round, when bridge will add more harsh grind...

There are also couple of things you can change in your bass.
    1- active eq (ability to boost and not only cut), see above about eq.
    2- on board preamp. The sound is boosted there on your bass, unfortunately a lots of preamp add color and pre-eq to your sound... check Aguilar, Bartolini etc
    3- pickups. Yes you can change your pickup. I personally use Status basses and their pickup/eq are great for slapping (ie Mark King). Check there for info on pickup and eq/boards.

Hope this helps,
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    as he said, there's lots of factors. I had a fender hot rod precision, with p/j pickups. With EMG's in it, it had a killer slap tone.
  4. Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    Thanks for the info gang!
  5. Another thing... you can also change your string for a nice *new* sound. Use light gage for highs and mid for lows.
    I personally like 40-60-80-100 but you may want to try 40-60-85-110 or something like that.
  6. Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    Thanks for the info!

Can anyone offer a specific brand/model pickup for slap/punchy tone?