1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Best pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Scoly, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Scoly

Scoly

Mar 6, 2013
    Hey, have just heard Bartolinis for first time sound great.Could anyone please tell me what they think is the best bass pickup. Thanks.

2. Hamlet7768

Hamlet7768 Here to chew gum and rock. Still have gum.

Jun 5, 2011
    Ask ten bassists, get eleven answers.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    For actives I only like EMG P's and J's. But I have a lot of favorite passive pickups, and it all depends on the application. The Fender 62 Original P and 60's CS J, DiMarzio Model P or Model J or Ultrajazz, the Duncan Quarter Pounder, the Danelectro Lipsticks...just like anything involved in making music, there really is no best bass pickup, just a lot of really good ones that some like and some don't, and a handful of crap ;)

4. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    The best pickup out there is the one I like the best.

5. CTC564

CTC564 Gold Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    LOL...

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My favorites are Duncan dual-coils or the Nordstrands of the same configuration. I like the Sadowsky soap bars they use in the Modern 5-25 and their humbucking J pickups, too. Now that I think of it, I like a lot of pickups.

7. keyofnight

keyofnight

Jun 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I'd like to test drive a pair of SGD's Sidewinders. They sound pretty awesome in the recordings they've posted.

To be honest though, I can't tell the difference between most pickups. Even when I hear some kind of difference, I can usually find other reasons that I hear a difference: different amp, different cab, even different wiring/components. For example… in the manual for my pups, there are two resonant frequencies listed: one for 500k volume pots (2600Hz), another for 1M volume pots (4400Hz). That's a difference of 1800Hz! That's a world of difference. I've gotten so many different sounds out of the same bass just by going passive, adding a varitone circuit, changing the kind of pots I use, etc.

Yeah, that was a rant. Sorry. (;

8. There is no best. Please don't use that word. It's like a red rag to a bull on TB.

It's the B-word and should be banned.

Reword your question and say what sound you're after and what bass you have then we can offer informed opinions.

Well some of us : )
    Davo