Best pickups and on-board preamp for a Warwick n/t thumb?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Jul 30, 2002.

1. EMG pickups and preamp

0 vote(s)
  2. bartolini pickups and preamp

0 vote(s)
  3. basslines pickups and preamp

1 vote(s)

4 vote(s)
  1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm toying with the idea of replacing the pickups and preamp in my thumb. 1. I have'nt really decided what would sound best, 2. I have'nt got the dimensions on the stock pickups. Anyone have any ideas on either of these? I've been considering going either fully basslines or emg but do not want to do any routeing at all. Is it possible to use the basslines "slap contour" preamp with my bass with out routeing anything, would it be a good idea?:confused: :rolleyes:
    What options do I have without any wood work?
  2. jankjo

May 22, 2002
    What sound are you going for?
    I think EMG is brighter and punchier, Barts are warmer. no experience with the others.
  3. Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    if you insist on changing the pickups, id use MEC 18 volt pickups.
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i'd try swapping out the preamp first. it seems the preamp is worse than the pickups. but take a listen to your bass in passive mode, and determine if you like that sound and want more oomph to it or if you want something different.

i think my plan for my ss2 is to get a U-Retro/East preamp with either Basslines or EMG's wired 18V. but i'm going to do the preamp first because i actually really like the sound of the bass in passive mode.

i wouldn't go with barts in a warwick unless they're the bright CX windings, because my favorite part about my warwick is the GROWL, and i've never played a bart bass with it.